Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WORKING alternative to Rib lacing – WANTED

Default Re: WORKING alternative to Rib lacing – WANTED

Roger, your anxiety over rib stitching is somewhat understandable but if I can do it anyone can. I finally caught on to the knot after about 10 attempts on a practice piece. Took about 2.5 hours per wing on a rotisserie. Looking in from my wing tips the lacing lines up perfectly and if laid out correctly you don't run into any internal wing components. Quite proud of it if I may say so and feel confident that it was done right. It actually was an enjoyable part of the build.

With the speeds attainable now days in the model 4's -7's I feel it's easy and cheap insurance.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I found that covering was the most enjoyable part of the build and rib lacing the most enjoyable of the covering part. It is an excellent opportunity if you would like to get someone else involved in building your plane. I built a simple rack that held the wing leading edge down and my wife and I passed the needle back and forth through the wing. She is is proud to tell how she did the rib lacing whenever we are talking to anyone about building our kitfox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t j; 08-04-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Ha, I just took that photograph of the rib lacing rack back out to put it back in my builder's log. She asked what I was doing and I said "Posting a picture of our rib lacing rack on the internet. She replied, "Did you them them we are available for hire?"
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Did mine with Martin Clips. Took about 30 minutes per side to install clips after I drilled several hundred holes spaced PERFECT. Looks OK but different. Knowing what I now know I think you may want to listen to the guys about the rib lacing. Mine may work OK but I think it also may decrease the value of my plane. The only fast part was sticking the clips into the holes. I think the rest was slower than lacing because its a bit of a chore to get it to look good with all those vertical bumps running from leading edge to trailing edge as the ribs don't have a grove for the wire to lay in. Haven't finished the plane yet so don't know how it will effect performance.

I haven't started the lacing yet, but I watched a YouTube video yesterday on the SuperFlite lacing process. From what I recall from looking at the other methods, the SuperFlite method looks simpler. I may be completely wrong, but it might be worth watching the video.

http://youtu.be/rneWclUSONw
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

I remember asking about alternatives to rib lacing also, and one I thought of using was the method used by Avid aircraft on their Magnum models. That method was the use of stainless steel staples. Those staples are designed to curl as they go through the rib so they are really hard to pull out. In the end I ended up just going with the standard rib lacing though. It turned out to be kind of fun and I don't regret having done it at all. I used the knot that is shown in the polyfiber manual and it really isn't that hard to do. I'm sure if you do the regular rib stiching, when it's done, you will say, that really wasn't near as bad as I was expecting. Take care, Jim Chuk

PS I did have the wings on stands that rotate when I did the lacing and that helps lots if you are doing the work by yourself
    Last edited by avidflyer; 08-05-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Dose the lacing has to go thouth the composit leading edge or the fabric is glue on it?

When it was time to lace my wings, I watched the Homebuilders Hint on the EAA web site about knot tying and lacing. This showed in great detail how to tie the knot and was the most simple explanation I found. Worked great and was a joy?? to do, very rewarding and you know the fabric is on to stay. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Dick B