Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Anyone here run 10% ethanol here?

Default Anyone here run 10% ethanol here?

Apologize if this has been asked a bunch but does anyone run ethanol? I am in MA and we only have 10% at the gas pump. Would maybe a boat dock be different? If you are running ethanol, are you using fiberglass tanks, or is there a way to coat them? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Anyone here run 10% ethanol here?

Also in mass, no mogas available, Hampton airport in NH has it, just filled up there yesterday. I have not run 10% ethanol in my 912s, just makes me nervous.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 08-01-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I run it all the time. no problems

do a forum search for ethanol and youll find a ton of discussions about it . the ethanol probably affects the marine industry more than aviation , lots more fiberglass tanks in boats . some of the marinas may have ethanol free gas , probably a little more expensive .
    so far ive been able to find ethanol free gas but no telling when the gas ****s will get their way and we wont be able to get it any more .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I am from Western Ma and I run 100LL and treat with Decalin lead additive. When I am near Hampton I fill up with there Mogas also. I have heard bad stories about ethanol and fiberglass, thats enough to keep me worried. Cain B

Thumbs down Re: Anyone here run 10% ethanol here?

I ran it for 3 tanks, it ended up stripping fiberglass out of my tanks. It went through the system. I feel extremely blessed that didn't end up in afield someplace or worse. It fowled both carbs. It started idling rough. I had problems chopping the throttle, and ended up having to land with the throttle at 2500 RPM. I posted a long post explaining the process I had to go thru to clean up the mess. I just recently got to send my carbs off to be rebuilt because of the build up of epoxy in the carbs. I would not recommend using fuel with any alcohol. I will look up my post an post again with the link.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thumbs down Re: Anyone here run 10% ethanol here?

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...?t=1023&page=2. Go throug the post, you decide if you want to run ethanol!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Engines don't know what kind of fuel they are burning. The issues we've experienced is all the organic parts. Ethanol will degrade or destroy many of the organic parts related to your engine from fiberglass resin in the tanks, to the rubber fuel lines, fuel pump gaskets, seals, o-rings in the carb.etc.
    I strip out the ethanol for use in my lawn mower and yard equipment, however, what ever you do in regard to aircraft that is out of the design, you become a test pilot. I don't use stripped gas in my aircraft. There are also some additives used to help in the ethanol issues. If you use fuel hose, make sure you know what it is you want. I had the same parts guy tell me 4 different times that the rubber fuel hose was ethanol compliant. It was not. Only the black rubber with green lettering is ethanol resistant sold at NAPA. Hope this helps someone.