Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Nose Wheel Balance Issue?

Default Nose Wheel Balance Issue?

Can anyone help me with what I think is a nose wheel balance issue? Lately I've noticed about 30 seconds after takeoff a vibration that lasts for a few seconds and dies out. I usually tap my brakes just after lifting off to stop the mains from spinning, so I am pretty sure it is the nose wheel winding down. Also, occasionally when the nose wheel comes down it will shimmy. Some times it's pretty strong. Anyone got any advice? What do I look for - bearings, balance, what?

Thanks!

Default Re: Nose Wheel Balance Issue?

Aaron, you might check the tension on the nose wheel. The large nut on the bottom of your fork might need a little tightening now that you have some time and wear on it. The bellville washers have probably compressed a little over time. If it is too loose you will get shimmy. Too tight and you have a hard time steering. I think it is something like 17 or 18 lbs. break away tension that should be on the nose wheel. The instructions for checking this should be in your manual. It's pretty simple and you just need a small scale to do it. This should be part of your conditional inspection each year. Shimmy on the nose gear is not a good thing. If bad enough you could tear the nose gear out from under the aircraft. I'm sure John and Deb carry the washers if you find you need new ones. Usually you can tighten a couple times without replacing them.

If that doesn't do it then you might have a bearing out in the nose wheel. Raise the nose off and spin it by hand and see if you have any slop on the axle. Check your axle for damage too if you find a bearing has failed. Both are easy problems to fix.

You might check your rubber rebound shock absorber pucks on your nose gear also. Check the entire gear for any signs of damage. It's a very important component of the aircraft because if it fails the repairs get spendy.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Nose Wheel Balance Issue?

this might sound weard, but you might have a problem with a flat spot on that tire from sitting. I just put new nanking tires, 21inchers, just before winter. Well, after sitting in the hangar for a week I went flying and the temps were 35degrees. Wow, talk about wheel bounce, all over the place, had a real hard time landing with the wheels bouncing all over the place. My cure was to go over to the hangar every 3 days and move the airplane forward or backward to give it a new spot to sit on. Another thing I did was raise the air pressure in the tire. Now that the tire has had time to stretch out a little the problem is but gone. But still something to think about.

Next thing is to raise the front and loosen the bearings and try to spin the tire and find the heavy side, after it stops moving of course. It will fall twards the floor, if so try and find some tape on wheel weights and put on the opposite side. If possible just take the tire to the tire shop and see if they can balance.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop