Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Winter is coming time to pre-heat

Default Winter is coming time to pre-heat

Looking for opinions on pre-heaters, looking at the Reiff or Tanis system.

Reiff is cheaper and completely external to the engine but needs to be bonded on permanently (I assume)

Tanis is more money but looks like a better design and relatively easy to install and possibly remove if desired.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 10-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: Winter is coming time to pre-heat

I purchased two heater strips, one 150watt and the other 25watt from Amazon.com. Total for both was about $30.00. They just plug into a standard outlet. One glues on to the engine case and the other clamps on the oil canister.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I8XDBM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I8TQD6

Scott

I use a 1500 watt electric milk parlor heater - 4" adapter on the outlet running into a 4" aluminum flex pipe and into the one of the front air lnlets in the cowl - plug the other inlet with a rag and let 'er run for 1/2 hr (30 degrees F) to 1 hr (0 to minus 10 F) - then it starts right off. Experimented with putting the hot air into the bottom of the cowl bit it works much quicker if run into the top.

Also throw a blanket over the cowl to lessen heat loss during the warm-up

There are fancier heaters but this costs less than $30 and add zero weight/stuff to the aircraft.

Sincerely,

Dave s
    KF 7
    912 ULS

I installed the Reiff last year and it comes with a theromtat for the heating element that heats the oil sump. It shuts off at 150 degrees. The other for the case stays o as long as its plugged in. I set it on timer for 4-6 hours before,the planned take off and everything is toasty warm. Works great!
    Kurt
    4-1050
    80hp
    Warpdrive
    Osceola, Wi.

For preheating I have a "cube" heater that I mount on a pole from a work light that got broken. With my cowl cover it heats up very nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I taped my heat gun to a wood stand (shaped like an upside down T) and lean it against the oil cooler opening in the cowl. I also throw a blanket over the cowl and plug the top cowl openings with the blanket. It works real well up here in northern Mn. I fly when it is 0 F or even a bit colder. I have a Jabiru engine. In a half hour, things are toasty warm. I've tried other things before, but this works well for me. Take care, Jim Chuk

Larry's "Cube" heater is basically similar to what I called a "milk parlor" heater.

Really like the cowl blanket - where did you get that?

Dave s
    KF7 Trigear

My own design and manufacture...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bK_ivwXs4

This should give you a pretty good idea on how to make the heater. Use a multi fuel stove (can burn avgas, mogas, blazo, kerosene, jet fuel etc.)
    In place of the aluminum drier duct, you can use scat tubing and have a more user friendly heater.

I have used something very similar for years, but did not have it in the ammo can. That makes for a nice neat package! Make sure you have plenty of air holes cut around the bottom of the can so you will get enough cold air coming in to get a good draft going! We have been using heaters like this for many many years up here with great sucess. The beauty of the heater is it is a light weight package that you dont need electricity to use! It has saved my bacon more than once out in the field.

The pictures are not my heater, but almost identical to mine...
    Last edited by akflyer; 10-13-2010 at 10:11 AM.

I did not wire them together. However, in the long run, they did not work out so well. The small one on the oil tank is great and still works but the one on the engine block fried after about two weeks of use. Since then, I purchased a 1500 watt electric heater and connected a 6" duct between the heater and bottom opening in the cowl. I also bought a digital timer from Lowes so I can set the heater to come on 45 minutes before I get home from work. The allows the engine to be plenty heated up so when I get home, the plane is ready to go.