Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atc privatization

Default Atc privatization

Easy Peasy to write your representatives if you are against ATC privatization.

Just click the link below. It has a letter ready for you. Website will determine your representatives by your zip code and send letter on your behalf.

http://www.atcnotforsale.com/

Maxwell
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Default Re: Atc privatization

I really don't know why everyone is up and arms about this. Privatization is the best thing to happen to ATC in Canada. We have way more advanced equipment and systems compared to our southern neighbours, higher pay, and benefits. Private airplane gets a $70 flat rate bill in the mail once a year. That pays for all your weather, ATC, flight planning, and anything else you can think of that you use.

Rates have consistently gone down for that last 10 years. Our last rate cut was 12 months ago at a whopping 8%. This summer we still made $65M too much and are giving additional rebates to airlines.

Being privatized allows us to be more flexible such as starting a partnership where we own 51% of a space based global ADS-B coverage company which will save airlines over $5B in fuel on more efficient oceanic routes. We couldn't have done that if it was still run by the government. Everyone north of the border is pretty much happy with private ATC. It's great if done properly.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

EAA and AOPA are huge opponents to it, and are burning the midnight oil to fight it.

I can't seem to find good information other than "CHANGE IS BAD!!" From either side of the fence.

I personally have never seen any operation that is run by the government working better than one run by private industry. But again, finding unbiased information is tough. I use almost zero ATC services, so I really don't have a dog in the hunt.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The issue is pretty clear if you study the information available. I think that then you might have a better idea of why many are up in arms over this. The situation in Canada is really not that comparable to the U.S., in my opinion, Josh. The number of airports and the amount of air traffic far outnumbers what is in Canada. It is said by some that the Canadian system can be easily scaled to work the same here. Others are not so sure. A 2015 study also found that the Canadian system was costing about 8 cents more per air mile than in the U.S. I'm glad you only pay $70 per year. I pay nothing, other than taxes on fuel, which is enough, and believe me, will not go away after privatization. "If it is done right" is a big "if". The proposal here would basically have the show run by the airlines, and they have proven, time and time again, to not be the best friends of general aviation in this country. People who fly like most of us on this forum will be some of the big losers if this were to become a reality. The big airline companies would be ecstatic.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

This is a big issue and pretty much a takeover of our airspace by the airlines. I've written all my representatives and received really no response.

No one I've talked to that uses ATC on a regular basis thinks the system is broke. Usually I'm for privatization but not when it hands complete control of our system to an entity hostile to general aviation. This could kill thousands of general aviation jobs and impart user fees on top of our fuel taxes. The FAA has mandated most of us to pay for and install next gen. before Jan. 1, 2020. This is modernizing the fleet at our expense so let's see if it works before handing our entire airspace over to the airlines.
    The unintended and intended consequences of this bill are a blow to general aviation and will not impact any of the problems being blamed on our current system by the airlines.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The way it seems to be coming across really isn't "privatization". Sounds more like corporatism. I'm for a real privatization, but in case you didn't know, congressmen don't write or read laws. Lobbyists do. Like everything else with our government these days...but I digress, this is getting political.

COPA had to write AOPA to correct them as they were telling everyone COPA was unhappy with the private model which was not true. General Aviation is one of the stake holders of NAVCANADA so they do have a say. Obviously, this has to be done the correct way etc. I just think it's not all doom and gloom.

As for the 2015 study, I'm not familiar with it, it may be true on the surface. We have huge remote parts of the country that need to be serviced and aren't as utilized so regardless of private or government, it would most likely be a higher cost because the density isn't there. However because it is a larger country with less traffic in a lot of places it's pretty amazing it's costs are that close.

A big thing is with technology and route optimization NAVCanada will have saved airlines 8.4 billion litres of fuel by 2020. So maybe slightly more a mile but efficiency saves money in other places.

In summary I'm just trying to say, if done properly, it could be a good thing, I'm happy with my one time fee(we dont have a tax on fuel that pays for that, we have much higher fuel prices for gas in general but that's a whole other story). I hope you guys have the outcome you want.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    ... However because it is a larger country with less traffic in a lot of places it's pretty amazing it's costs are that close...
    Just a little "nit-picking"... less traffic, yes, but the geographical area is only 4% greater. There's also the matter of the U.S. being spread out with Hawaii and Alaska. The fact is that the proposal here is for a system most definitely to be controlled, in effect, by the airline companies. It's fortunate for you that general aviation is a "stake holder", but the reality as proposed here would almost certainly be different and less desirable than what we have now.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

One overarching principle might be that Canada and the US are not comparable in how this would work and how it would scale. Comparing Canadian privatization and the US proposal might be like comparing apples to lutefisk...

First off, California alone (39.9 million) has more people than Canada (36.7 million) - I am not convinced that this is scalable.

Check the attached traffic map for today...most of the stuff piling in over eastern Canada is destined for the US east coast. Canada certainly has a smaller population to serve over approximately the same area - quite a different service need.

Our associations (AOPA & EAA) are pretty good at determining how a proposal will affect general aviation. Our conditions might be quite different in the US.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I wrote my representative opposing privatization. Got a reply that was a full page but was typical political speak that said nothing.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)