Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Verbiage for Annual Condition Inspection

Default Re: Verbiage for Annual Condition Inspection

Interesting. I have been using that or a similar statement on certified and EAB aircraft since I got my first IA in 1986. Never had a problem but as we all know there is no problem until something goes wrong and the feds get involved. Mike

By now this is a bit redundant, but when N338S was inspected the guy from the FSDO gave me several stickers to put in my log book and fill out on completion of the Annual Condition Inspection. Attached is a copy from the log book.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I have worked as a mech under an FBO's station licence. I've never had an A&P, but have even been an inspector. Funny, right? Anyway all that has been on certified aircraft or components. With my IV, I've had to change a few things that the builder didn't do to my liking. But the only components that have been changed are the tires and the prop. I know I'll have to do a weight and balance, but what has to be entered in the log? I have an A&P to look over my work, but should he enter what I did? Tundra tires and Warp drive prop.

Jay, you can put those into the logbook yourself. No need for an A&P to do it. Also annotate that updated weight and balance has been performed and added into the aircraft records.

However, this constitutes a major change with the new prop and will need to be put back into phase 1. The FSDO will give you the operating area for the Phase 1 flight test and probably give you that restriction for 5 hours, after which it will be put in the log book and put back into phase 2. Since the prop type remains the same (fixed pitch) you will not need to file a new 8130-6.
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 09-21-2017 at 08:23 AM.

I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on _____________ in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D of part 43 and found to be in a condition for safe operation

I certify that this engine has been inspected on ___________ in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D of part 43 and found to be in a condition for safe operation

simple and to the point. I do this for both aircraft. I don't even do oil changes unless it's time for it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

It sounds to me like Jay purchased the aircraft and may not hold the repairmans certificate. If that is the case he would need an A&P to sign off on any major change or one that could be concieved as affecting weight and balance. Correct me if I'm wrong? It wouldn't be the 1st time.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    It sounds to me like Jay purchased the aircraft and may not hold the repairmans certificate. If that is the case he would need an A&P to sign off on any major change or one that could be concieved as affecting weight and balance. Correct me if I'm wrong? It wouldn't be the 1st time.

Greg
    You are correct. Even though I've worked as one for years, it has always been under a station license.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Jay, you can put those into the logbook yourself. No need for an A&P to do it. Also annotate that updated weight and balance has been performed and added into the aircraft records.

However, this constitutes a major change with the new prop and will need to be put back into phase 1. The FSDO will give you the operating area for the Phase 1 flight test and probably give you that restriction for 5 hours, after which it will be put in the log book and put back into phase 2. Since the prop type remains the same (fixed pitch) you will not need to file a new 8130-6.
    I find it hard to believe that a prop change puts you back to phase 1 test flight again.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post

Greg
    Greg good point. Thanks. However, technically the only logbook entries required for experimental aircraft are those for a conditional inspection....and personally I would also say anything required under 91.417, transponder, ELT, etc. It would be smart to document such a change in my opinion.

Jay, 14 CFR 21.93 dictates a major change...same for certified and experimental. Major change dictates it goes back to phase 1. I would personally draft up a plan and take it to the FSDO and tell them what you are going to do and they will most likely give you the thumbs up. If you have the original operating limitations I would also get them updated while you are at the FSDO. Sometime early in 2000, the ops limits were changed to add the sentence; "After the satisfactory completion of phase I, and the appropriate endorsement has been entered in the aircraft logbook, this aircraft may be flown in congested airways and over densely populated areas if directed by Air Traffic Control or sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons or property on the surface."

Greg good point. Thanks. However, technically the only logbook entries required for experimental aircraft are those for a conditional inspection....and personally I would also say anything required under 91.417, transponder, ELT, etc. It would be smart to document such a change in my opinion.
    Does not 91.417 apply to experimental aircraft as well?

"(1) Records of the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alteration and records of the 100-hour, annual, progressive, and other required or approved inspections, as appropriate, for each aircraft (including the airframe) and each engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance of an aircraft. The records must include—

(i) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of the work performed; and

(ii) The date of completion of the work performed; and

(iii) The signature, and certificate number of the person approving the aircraft for return to service."

It does include the wording "alteration". Again correct me if I'm wrong here!

Greg