Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 800 E-Tec Motor & E-Gearbox HP Maximum

Lightbulb Rotax 800 E-Tec Motor & E-Gearbox HP Maximum

Does anyone know of a source that identifies the maximum HP and Torque rating for the E-Gearbox?

I'm looking at using the Rotax 800 E-Tec as a power plant; for many durability reasons. This particular engine is designed for maximum fuel efficiency and low emissions (no smell). The engine produces 150 hp, and has big bore options up to 180 hp; in an 80 pound engine (not including supporting accessories). There are even aftermarket turbochargers for this engine potentially to support high elevation operations.

http://bikemanperformance.com/media/...s/E-Tec860.jpg

I'm contemplating a continuous climb at 135 hp at MTOW; not at all near engine limits.

The E-drive, from what I see, does not directly fit, but an adapter plate seems very straight forward. A coupling needs consideration. The bell housing bolt pattern seems very friendly for making an engine mount (more consideration still needed).

My present concern is the maximum HP/Torque rating of the E-drive. So far, I have not found related data.
    Last edited by jamesbdunn; 06-04-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    James Dunn

Default Re: Rotax 800 E-Tec Motor & E-Gearbox HP Maximum

By the time you have all the time, engineering, fabrication, propellers and several repeats of these variables done you will have enough money invested to have had a 912 flying for a year.

Rated hp in a motorcycle or snowmobile is not the same as continuous operating hp in an aircraft engine. It will surely make 150 up on a dyno run, but at that output it will not last very long.

An 800 Etec is a fine snowmobile engine. That doesn't make it an aircraft engine.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Part of the joy of the toy is experimenting and making incremental accomplishments. No commercial operations. Any experimental is a toy.

There are all sorts of engines in flying aircraft; including experimental engines. Not at all to put down aircraft engines. But while I'm flying on my current engine, I can be building a replacement on a test stand.

I know of 1 aircraft with a motorcycle engine that has over 200 hours of flight time on it.

The fuel injected Rotax 800 E-tec has external lubrication of the bearings. Which allows for pre-start lubrication. The engine for me is as much of a toy as the air frame.

I like the tractor sound of the E-tec.

I'm playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    By the time you have all the time, engineering, fabrication, propellers and several repeats of these variables done you will have enough money invested to have had a 912 flying for a year.

Rated hp in a motorcycle or snowmobile is not the same as continuous operating hp in an aircraft engine. It will surely make 150 up on a dyno run, but at that output it will not last very long.

An 800 Etec is a fine snowmobile engine. That doesn't make it an aircraft engine.
    James Dunn

The 800 ETEC I've seen have no provision or the extra metal to machine one for a gearbox to bolt on. I would think looking at a Sea Doo engine would be a better bet. And I agree will all of Larry's points as well. JImChuk

Any progress on the etec adaptation James?

I too have always eyed that motor as a great upgrade to the "old school" rotax aero 2 strokes: proven precision fuel-air-oil at all altitudes, direct lubed crankshaft bearings, great power output.

If someone would have broken the ice on getting this motor running in an airplane it would have been my first choice for repower on my KF5. But I am now in process with mounting up a skytrax yamaha rx-1 motor with a c-box. It is rated at 140hp and has a few dozen successful applications (most gyro copter) with the c-box.

Point here is that the c-box has good empirical proof in holding up well to the 140 hp yamaha (note that most people run it detuned at about 120 hp) and the e-box has the same "guts" as the c.

I do agree with Jim and Larry here that running the 800 etec at a detuned output of about 120 hp would be wise, and proportionally more in line with how a 582 is typically detuned at about 65 hp vs about 95 in the snowmobile version.

Cant wait till someone gets the 800/850 etec flying!!

Brett