Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 34 of 120 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

I am currently working in the engine bay. I have finished the cooling system. I am looking at the oil cooler now and the instructions advise "refer to the oil cooler installation". I have nothing in my FWF regarding the oil cooler. Am I going to figure this out myself or for those with the 912iS, am I missing a supplemental pamphlet that explains how to do this install? I can wait for the factory to advise tomorrow but if there are a couple pages available I am wondering if someone might keep me on track today by emailing me a PDF or something of the instructions. I wouldn't even of thought it a reasonable request until I just saw Phil attach an entire article from Kitplanes!
    eddie.forward@yahoo.com

Check your email Eddie. I just sent them to you.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Great! Thank You Josh

So, pretty much my cowl is done except exhaust hole. Exhaust on order.
    Here are some of the pics of recent work. Ross, the cowl bumps turned out pretty good. Thanks Josh, I was able to finagle the oil cooler in. I left the middle strap for the radiator in. It all seems to be acceptable. Of course I would do some things differently if I had it to do again. Maybe on the next.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is everyone with the iS motor using a Thermostat on the oil Cooler? I assume the AZ guys wouldn't use one but I am wondering if the Southern CA weather in the winter would be cool enough to need it. If I understand it correctly the thermostat would remain closed until warm weather and then open to circulate the oil through the cooler?
    Eddie

I recommend installing the oil cooler thermostat even if you operate in a cool climate. It will shorten your engine warmup time if nothing else. Warmup time can be significant in cool weather; your Lycoming flying buddies will be ready to go 10 minutes before the Rotax warms up, but the thermostat will reduce this.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank You Jim
    I would be annoyed with the long warm ups myself. I had not considered that.
    Eddie

Agree with Jim - even with it installed I still tape over the cooler and radiator in winter! And while you're on the cowling Eddie - worth considering putting some heat shield on the inside where the muffler is close to the bottom cowl - I did this after seeing them do it on the factory planes and seeing one that had no heat shield show clear heat affected signs.

It's looking good Eddie! I like the bumps too - I keep thinking you could install some lights or something in them!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thanks Ross. Ill look into the heat shield.
    Eddie

John Evans has a pretty good picture of his heat sheild on his build thread - post #283.

Greg