Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GSC to IVO on 582 2.62

Default Re: GSC to IVO on 582 2.62

I've got the same setup except it's 70". I set my static to 6000 RPM and see 80 mph cruise and still have pretty good climb.

Remember to keep up with retorquing at 10 hour intervals if it's a new prop. Over time I've been able to stretch that out a bit.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Hi Paul, I was wondering why you opt to have your prop set to get 6,000 max static. After installing my prop all indications (I read it on the internet) were that 6,200-6,300 static was the targeted rpm range to shoot for. Being you have a good amount of experience I'm thinking you have a good reason.

Again thanks for your advice and assistance when I was having problems with getting lower idle. I finally worked it out as a carb slide and cable issue. The engine key bump starts and idles around 2,000 once it warms and settles down a bit. I really like the IVO and RK clutch combo so far. Totally different machine vs. the 68" 3 blade GSC and no RK.

I chose the lower static because I wanted the higher cruise more than maximum climb performance. Since all my flying is with field elevations below 1000 MSL climb is still more than sufficient.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Hi Paul,

That sounds logical. I was thinking maybe you had yours set more course to limit peak rpms in the air at full throttle. Much of what I read said to shoot for 6,200 with this prop. I believe 6500 is the max allowable for a short period with 6,800 being redline revs. I may dial in a bit more pitch and try that out.

Thanks

I've got the same setup except it's 70". I set my static to 6000 RPM and see 80 mph cruise and still have pretty good climb.
    Hi!

2 Blade or 3?

Ratio 2.62?

Which rpm do you call cruise?

Thanks!

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel

Lightbulb Re: GSC to IVO on 582 2.62

If you read down the thread (and past posts) Olie you'll see Av8r_Sed is running a 70" IVO Ground Adjustable 2-Blade Medium and Hacman altitude compensator with a 3:1 C gearbox w/RK-400 clutch.

I'm running a 72" Ground Adjustable 2 Blade medium IVO on a 3:1 w/RK-400 clutch. I'm low hours but all seems very good so far. The clutch changed the whole dynamic of flying a 582 in my mind. I don't like my plane being vibrated and shaken to bits. Anyway "Cruise" in my mind is either loafing along at 60-65mph at @5,200-5,3000 seeing the sights (with door(s) open) or screaming across the countryside at 5,800+ doing somewhere around 80 IAS. Peak static RPM's are 6,000-6,200.

I was warned to stay out of the midrange RPM's (5,300-5,500) for prolonged periods. I forget exactly why but ok whatever. I heed warnings from the experienced first and eventually make up my own personal rules later

Don't think you can go wrong either the IVO medium 2-Blade IFA-GA or 3-Blade IVO UL GA-IFA. Do German rules allow IFA props in the experimental class ?

Correction, I was warned to stay out of mid-range RPM's (4,000-5,000) as much as possible.

I chose 6100 static (3 blade Ivo 68" and 2.62). Works great across the board. Lost 5 mph cruise speed by going to a higher static number (6300) and not much different t.o. and climb performance so settled in on 6100 and am very happy with it.

I have followed closely this discussion. I used an IVO on a Ford V6 in my earlier homebuilt and being able to ground adjust for optimizing performance was great.

I have now finished my fuselage and ready for paint. All systems installed and working except brakes. This includes engine fully functioning. IVO has agreed with the recommendation made by some that an ultralight 68"" three blade is a good choice.

Question: Is there a rpm range to be avoided with a Rotax 912 UL with this prop application?? Is this something I need to consider in selecting a prop??

Bud
    IV-1200
    912. UL