Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Verbiage for Annual Condition Inspection

Default Re: Verbiage for Annual Condition Inspection

I would argue they absolutely do not apply unless specifically referenced or in reference to a part that is required under the FAR's such as the ELT, transponder or IFR cert. Part 43.1(b) defines what the regulations are regarding mx and records required, however it also states that this does not apply to any aircraft with an experimental certificate. There is no strict guidance what to put outside of what the operating limitations state for your aircraft.

For what you referenced it is applicable to certified aircraft only
    ....A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of the work performed...

This would refer to a 337 or compliance with the aircraft mx manuals to ensure continued airworthiness. Nothing done to an experimental gets sent to or has to be proven to the administrator and no acceptable data is required to make any modification to an E-AB aircraft (negating those systems/inspections already discussed above). There is also no requirement for anyone to make any entry returning an experimental aircraft to service.

I'm not 100% sure on this part, but I've never seen an experimental on a progressive inspection, nor an annual (a conditional is different, though still every 12 calendar months)...the only one I could see is a 100 hour if you have the proper waivers to use it for flight training....but again not 100% on this.

At the end of the day, I will log all of my work done and date, sign, and put my A&P number at the end just because good record keeping never hurt in maintaining an aircraft.

Not going to get into an argument. This has been hashed over many times. There is no exemption from 91.417 for EAB.

91 specifically states "(a) This subpart prescribes rules governing the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations of U.S.-registered civil aircraft operating within or outside of the United States."

No exception! You seem to be picking parts that obviously do not apply and the reg covers that to as it states "and other required or approved inspections, as appropriate, for each aircraft". So no - progressive & 100 hour do not apply.

There is no strict guidance what to put outside of what the operating limitations state for your aircraft.
    Using that logic the operationg limitations need to reiterate the entirety of 14 CFR in order to be applicable. The guidance is the reg and the one that pertains here is 91.417

I'm not saying it has to be in a log book. I'm not saying the work has to be performed by an A&P. I'm not saying the work has to be signed off by an A&P. I'm saying 91.417 requires there to be a records of maintenance and alterations.

After my thurough rebuild of the Mangy, the FISDO didn't care about anything but the changed Propellar. I had to put 5 hours of phase 1 testing in and with a log entry was back to normal operations.

Another one of the reasons why I chose not to build my airplane "from parts".
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Makes sense, thanks Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Jay, you can put those into the logbook yourself. No need for an A&P to do it. Also annotate that updated weight and balance has been performed and added into the aircraft records.

However, this constitutes a major change with the new prop and will need to be put back into phase 1. The FSDO will give you the operating area for the Phase 1 flight test and probably give you that restriction for 5 hours, after which it will be put in the log book and put back into phase 2. Since the prop type remains the same (fixed pitch) you will not need to file a new 8130-6.
    Once again I seemed to have stirred the pot a bit. Sorry. My original question on log book entry detail is this. Do I just enter, "brake system overhauled" or should I enter "calipers cleaned and resealed, pads replaced, poly brake lines replaced, master cylinders cleaned and resealed, and both sides bled"? If the later detail is required, I'll need another log just cover what I've done.

As for the prop change, with a fresh reman two stroke engine I better be within gliding range of home anyway. At least for five hours...

Jay,

The verbiage is really up to you. Consider though, if you ever plan on selling it - most would consider the more in depth descriptions as more desirable. Leaves less to speculate about - "overhauled" could have different meanings to different people.

Greg