Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: High Sierra Fly In 2017 - Oct 18-22nd

Default High Sierra Fly In 2017 - Oct 18-22nd

Hi all,

Just realized the High Sierra Fly In is about 4 weeks away. Just checking to see who from this forum will be heading out??

For those who aren't familiar, the High Sierra Fly In is a backcountry fly in that is held at a large dry lake bed just north of Reno, NV that we call "Dead Cow" but is also known as Flanigans. Last year there were about 200 planes and around 400 people. It is a really good time. There is a ton of good flying for people of any skill level, fly out breakfasts, a huge BBQ dinner, giant bonfire and fireworks. It is definitely kid and wife friendly so bring the family! There is a lot more going on than just airplane talk (there is still plenty of that). Sounds like there may by a live band coming out this year as well (which is impressive seeing as how this is literally in the middle of nowhere).

The other awesome event there is the STOL Drag Races, basically a head to head race where two planes start on a line, take off and fly 3/4 of a mile, land past the line on the far end and come to a stop on heading, then they flip a 180 and fly back to the starting line and land past the line and come to a full stop. First one stopped wins. The distance is set perfectly to where slow planes and fast planes end up on a very even playing field, its not uncommon to see a close race between a cirrus and a super cub! Its a super fun event to both fly in or just spectate, and so far this is the only place that these races go on.

Anyway, I am hoping to see more Kitfoxes out there this year! There have been a few in the past years and even McBean came out for it last year. It truly is the most fun flying event I have been to. So anyone considering it should definitely come out.

Here's the website for registration (some of the info is still from last year but the registration form is setup for this year I beleive): http://www.stoldrag.com

Here is a littel video I did from last year: https://youtu.be/LHhPAxb0wI0

My favorite pic from last years STOL Drags:

Info for flying in:

Driving in info:

Hope to see some of you out there!

Default Re: High Sierra Fly In 2017 - Oct 18-22nd

As always, great video Trent. And, looks like you pipped the Cub in the STOL drag race. Excellent.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I went in 2015 had a great time. Planning on being there this year.
    Where's AirFox. He did tell us at the Factory Fly-in he was going didn't he?

I'm planning on seeing you there John. PS Now you made me spend some money on the T3 tailwheel spring. Your right about it being a game changer. They can be found at airframesalaska.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Smile Re: High Sierra Fly In 2017 - Oct 18-22nd

Glad I could help you get rid of some money Scott. You are the reason I bought a Airmaster after last years Flyin. Now I guess I need Fuel injection like you. But you need a Big Bore kit so you can keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFox View Post
    I'm planning on seeing you there John. PS Now you made me spend some money on the T3 tailwheel spring. Your right about it being a game changer. They can be found at airframesalaska.

Scott
    We also have them available..
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I will be heading over on Friday the 20th through Sunday. Let's get a Kitfox parking section going.

Bryan
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox