Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: To much cranking?

Default To much cranking?

I finally got to start my 98 912 ul ,runs good for an engine which hasn't ran in years.My question is are most of you using primers? On a cold start it takes a lot of cranking to get the engine to fire, once warm it is instant, I read that if the starting carbs [chokes] are working properly a primer is not needed ,my carbs have been rebuilt and are in good shape and fuel pump is new. Thanks

Default Re: To much cranking?

The original owner/builder of my Vixen 912UL removed the primer before I purchased the a/c. The start method I found best is to set the throttle for about 18/2000 RPM. Leave the modules off. Pull on full enrichers and crank the engine a few times to ensure oil pressure. Turn on modules, hold enrichers full on and the activate the starter. Engine usually fires very quickly.
    During cold temps I always preheat. Mine does not like the cold!!
    When the engine is warm never use the enrichers or engine floods.
    Sometimes I have a restart issue on hot days if I attempt a restart about 20 minutes after shutdown. It seems the heat buildup under the cowling causes vapor lock or flooding. Not sure which. I installed a return line back to the gascolator that helps but I understand from others I should return the fuel back to the tank.
    Long answer but I have never used a primer in over 700 hours.
    Have fun
    Don

Default Re: To much cranking?

Don's method is what I routinely use. I learned it from a friend that installed a 912ULS long before the slipper clutch. It worked magic on his starts so thought I would try it. 10 seconds or so cranking with choke pulled and ignitions off. Then on and presto - instant start.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel