Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice on DVD/online refresher

Default Re: Looking for advice on DVD/online refresher

I agree Carl, but I wish those live atc sites would include the smaller towered airports where the radio calls are more like we actually use. The chatter from commercial pilots is not very useful to me.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

On the LiveATC site, try "Browse LiveATC Feeds" then "Class D / Other...". There might be some reasonable sized airports with enough weekend chatter to make it interesting. I haven't spent much time on the site.

A favorite is to listen to Oshkosh or look for YouTube recordings. What a remarkable job those controllers do keeping everyone relaxed and the traffic flowing.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I found my local towered airport KFUL here in Anaheim area. Type in the search box on the Left of the screen. I put in KFUL and it came up.
    Thanks Carl, pretty neat.

I have also been watching the fire fighting spotter plane (a C-172) fly circles around and around the local fire here on the other site. That site is kinda strange. I can type in someones Tail number, even law enforcement, and follow them around in the sky.

Thanks Carl, I'll try again to get some small class D airports.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Found a really neat YouTube channel: steveo1kinevo

He flies a TBM mostly IFR, but I have really learned a lot by listening to his radio interaction with ATC. Nothing like listening to the real thing.

I think you would really enjoy it and find it very educational.

Regards
    Rodney

This link is from my company. Slightly Canadianized but the info is 99% the same. If you're looking for what you need to know VFR wise. This covers everything.

https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/media/Pu...hraseology.pdf
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Beeryboats;

I have a complete set of the King Take-Off course. I think there are 18 DVD's in the course.

I'd be glad to send it to you so you can review the material. Just return it when your finished.

If you want me to send it, send me an email at Stinson97502@gmail.com with name and address, etc and I'll get it sent out.

Also works great if your having trouble sleeping. Just pop in a DVD and your off to dreamland. LOL

Regards
    Rodney

Esser - thanks for the download. It's very helpful
    Last edited by Rodney; 09-27-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: adding new info

Beeryboats, I'd recommend going with a course where you can watch a couple sample clips and determine if the presenter is interesting to you. As a personal example, I can't stand John and Martha King's presentation style, so I have stayed away from their material. Don't get me wrong - they know their stuff without a doubt,and their material is very well put together. It's just that for me, they didn't capture my interest and I couldn't stand listening to them for hours. I've got a couple older Sporty's course's and they were ok. I've heard Rod Machado is very good, and I can tell you I've enjoyed very much listening to him speak at Sun n Fun, so I'd lean toward checking his courses out, but that's just my personal preference. I find him to be an interesting, engaging speaker, so therefore I'd prob pay much better attention watching one of his courses, and retain the information much better.