Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Best Greabox Ratio for Model III with 582

Default Best Greabox Ratio for Model III with 582

I recently aqcuired a HFIII with 582 and 3.0 C Box.

I need to replace this box (due to corrosion issues). Question is: Is the 3.0 the best ratio to be using?

I have heard some concerns in our EAA Chapter that having a integer number for a gear ratio is not a great thing as the gears can develope wear patterns (constantly mating in the same way) and also some harmonic feedback issues.

Any thoughts here? I have the 3 blade wood GSC prop, new in the box, but have not yet mounted anything so would also be open to prop changes.

Larry S.
    Last edited by LSaupe; 10-24-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Default Re: Bests Greabox Ratio for Model III with 582

It may depend on the prop you think you'll end up with. I'd be happiest with a three blade UL from IVO, but they don't recommend it with the 3:1 gear ratio. You might give them a call and see if they recommend the UL for the 2.68:1 (if you're potentially interested in an IVO)
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Default Re: Best Greabox Ratio for Model III with 582

Thanks Paul.

Actually I have always flown an IVO in the past and have had excellent luck with them. Will give them a shout as well.

Larry