Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Taller Spring Gear

Default Taller Spring Gear

I bought a set of spring gear off a guy who had them on his Rans S6. They are 7" taller than the standard Kitfox gear however I drilled hole for my Type 1 axels so over all I am 5" taller over all. I plan on eventually getting the bush gear but this pretty much cost me nothing to do and was a quick add on replacement to get me more prop clearance.

Currently sitting on Air Trac 8.50s, I have 13.5 deg AOA sitting on the ground on an 8" tail wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Taller Spring Gear

ZOIKS!! Thats awesome! Will have to check mine...
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Josh, just a heads up on the tires you have on your plane - I started with them many years ago when I finished my Series 5 and didn't like them at all. Seems the weight of the tire (18 lbs as I recall with tubes) makes landing on hard surface runways a sporty proposition. It was explained to me that the problem stemmed from the inertia required to spin that weighty tire at touchdown made them very "grabby" at initial touchdown and you were along for mr. toads wild ride until they spun up. I switched to size 8.00 tires next and the difference in handling was dramatically better due to the 7 lb weight savings per side. I just replaced the 8.00's with the desser tundra 8.50's and they handle like the 8.00's did with no surprises (they weigh the same as the 8.00's ) Just be aware of this on those early flights. I have a buddy on the list with the same plane as mine and he had the same issue and changed out his tires as well. Bruce N199CL

What Bruce says is exactly the truth, I had some exciting rides on those
    same tires before I took them off. The direction they're pointing OR want
    to go - Are where you're going when you touch down on pavement ...

I flew with them for about a year, and after a really spectacular ground
    loop decided I'd had enough. Since I was flying mostly off pavement I
    put my 6.00's back on

Those things are 26 pounds mounted according to the pic from my
    records ...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by airlina View Post
    Josh, just a heads up on the tires you have on your plane - I started with them many years ago when I finished my Series 5 and didn't like them at all. Seems the weight of the tire (18 lbs as I recall with tubes) makes landing on hard surface runways a sporty proposition. It was explained to me that the problem stemmed from the inertia required to spin that weighty tire at touchdown made them very "grabby" at initial touchdown and you were along for mr. toads wild ride until they spun up. I switched to size 8.00 tires next and the difference in handling was dramatically better due to the 7 lb weight savings per side. I just replaced the 8.00's with the desser tundra 8.50's and they handle like the 8.00's did with no surprises (they weigh the same as the 8.00's ) Just be aware of this on those early flights. I have a buddy on the list with the same plane as mine and he had the same issue and changed out his tires as well. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the heads up guys. All I needed was an excuse to buy new tires! How did yoare find them on grass?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks for the heads up guys. All I needed was an excuse to buy new tires! How did yoare find them on grass?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

If you're going to be on grass, why not get the smooth tyres?

22" Smooth Aero Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Josh , they were fine on grass , it was only on hard surface runways that they acted up, and as a side note , mine sold fast on barnstormers . They are popular on larger tail draggers. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    If you're going to be on grass, why not get the smooth tyres?

22" Smooth Aero Classic
    If I get new tires I’m going to get 29” ABW. These are just what cane with my kit and will most likely work until I can stomach the price of the ABW

Thanks Bruce, I have several people offer to buy them already. I’m sure I’m the near future I will be selling them.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3