Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cargo bag

Default cargo bag

I am fitting the cargo bag and wondering how well the side attachments work and what we are to stick them to. It seems that just the sticky stuff is to hold these two areas.

Default Re: cargo bag

Jim,
    Not sure it is the same but in the Model IV I recently sold there was a lot of Velcro included with the cargo bag. It seemed that every edge/seem had another piece that needed to be applied to a tube. The Velcro had a double sided type tape on it that was very strong once attached. Hope this helps!

Hi Jim
    I solved the side issue by sliding a wooden dowel in the velcro pockets. The dowels are just long enough so each end rests on the cross tubes at the seat back and the rear of the cargo bag. Easy to install and remove. Hope this helps.
    Cheers Don

I have found that the Velcro self adhesive strips don't stay put very well on the frame tubes. They stick pretty good at first, but over a few years they slip and move around, probably during hot summer days. Am interested if anyone has found a better way to stick them to the tubes?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Mine is a late 90's Vixen and must have a different configuration. The velcro male and females are sewen to the bag and the flap. These flaps just fold over the aircraft tubing and velcro sticks to each other . No velcro ataches to the tubing. The dowels I referred to are only to provide support for the sides where there is no tubing.
    Difficult to explain . Maybe I will try for a few pics next time at the hanger.
    The system is very strong and would support much more than you would ever carry in your cargo bay.
    Good luck
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I have found that the Velcro self adhesive strips don't stay put very well on the frame tubes. They stick pretty good at first, but over a few years they slip and move around, probably during hot summer days. Am interested if anyone has found a better way to stick them to the tubes?
    I had that concern in my mind also, Jim. What I did to make it better for me was to add some aluminum "ledges" along the perimeter of the area that the Sack covers... this gave me a nice flat surface, the same width as the Velcro, to attach it to. I hope the pictures help explain what I'm talking about... they run along each fuselage side as well as partially down the edge under the triangular windows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Get some thin zip ties one at each end around the Velcro, and one in the middle, situation of them coming loose solved.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I made my own cargo bag. To reinforce the top left and right sides, I took an old fiberglass fishing rod and cut it to fit both sides, the same as the wood dowels mentioned. I then ran it through a folded over "sleeve" in both top sides of the cargo bag and held the fishing rod "dowels" in place with zip ties to the airplane frame. Very strong and light.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Thanks John and Paul, I like both of your solutions. I think I will try Paul's simple and easy method first, then later install John's "ledges". John, are those ledges aluminum angles, or just strips? Hysoled on.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Don and Steve, yes your configuration is different. My SS7 also uses the sewn on male and female Velcro sleeves for all the major weight supporting places. The Velcro that sticks to the perimeter tubing only anchors some cosmetic flaps to make a nice finished appearance. Thats why I haven't worried too much about it for 4.5 years. Now I'm at the stage where I am looking for small detail projects to make things better/nicer; such as fairings, Velcro, gap seals, cold air ingression, oil cooler shutters, camera mounts, overhead shades, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS