Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power tools

Default Power tools

I ordered the prefab brackets. Will I need or find a band saw useful during construction?

How are you guys cutting out the notch in the rear spar (I think it is to allow the wing to fold back) The photos I have seen all look very nice.

What power tools besides a cordless drill might I want?

Default Re: Power tools

The notch is cut out by the factory.

You don’t need a bandsaw. Everyone has preferences for cutting the fibre glass and acrylic etc. I use an angle grinder. The only thing I used my band saw for was cutting the flapperon rigging pieces.

I use a lot of air tools. I have a 90 degree drill that I don’t know how I would have built the plane without as it lets me get into tights spots. A dremel or similar is almost a must too. A bench top drill press would be nice too but not 100% required. It makes more even holes than hand drilling for sure
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Can you post a picture of the 90 degree drill so I can see what size your drill is.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

My bandsaw is one of the most useful (& used) tools in my home shop. I did use it a lot on the Kitfox project, but like Josh said, it probably isn’t a mandatory “must have” tool for most builders. Mine is “homebuilt” by me, and I’ve had it for 30+ years.

I’ve got a couple of angle drills. They can be pretty pricey but there are many options. Check out the Aircraft Spruce and ATS catalogs. You’d probably do well to get one with a small head that uses drill bits with a 1/4-28 thread. They are used with a standard drill motor.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

There are just too many things to list that you really don't need. It's like eating steak without a steak knife. Sure it can be done but....
    I just don't know how nobody mentions a rivet squeezer. I have one and I just can't imagine how solid rivets are done without it or an impact rivet gun. In addition, After pulling 20 SS rivets with my rivet puller I was sold on the pneumatic puller at Harbor freight. Love tools, if you can afford em get em. It just makes building more enjoyable.
    Eddie

Agree with Eddie of the solid rivet squeezer. I bought one and don't regret it one bit. But a small angle grinder (4") and a Dremel tool with cutting and grinding wheels are valuable additions.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    There are just too many things to list that you really don't need. It's like eating steak without a steak knife. Sure it can be done but....
    I just don't know how nobody mentions a rivet squeezer. I have one and I just can't imagine how solid rivets are done without it or an impact rivet gun. In addition, After pulling 20 SS rivets with my rivet puller I was sold on the pneumatic puller at Harbor freight. Love tools, if you can afford em get em. It just makes building more enjoyable.
    Eddie
    I did the prefab kit, but everything I have seen where people used a band saw was building brackets, or jigs.

I have endless cordless drills, but will probably find a 90 degree drill for the tight spots. I have a few angle grinders, levels, pneumatic rivet gun and a coup,e bucking bars. I sold the rivet squeezer I had, because I hadn’t used it since 2001. Oh well.

I also ordered the tool kit even though I do have some Cleco’s, and a pop rivet tool.

Band saws aren’t too expensive for a small one, so I might get one, but I thought I would ask what I would need it for that isn’t involved in making brackets.....that come in the prefab kit.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    The notch is cut out by the factory.

Cut out by the factory for the quick build option, or for every wing?

Maybe for the QB wing, but spars are not notched for the build it yourself wing.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I believe every wing. But I could be wrong. Not many build the wing from scratch.

Yes I wish I got a solid river squeezer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3