Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV – What to do about damaged fabric and aileron?

Default Kitfox IV – What to do about damaged fabric and aileron?

Please find attached a few pictures of the damages on a Kitfox, which is up for sale in Florida. I had already told the seller a few weeks ago that I am not interested anymore, because of these damages. I figured that I would rather spend more and buy a nicer plane. Yesterday, I however wondered if I might have been too quick with my decision.

The engine already has over 1200 hours on it, the panel and the interior look a little bit rough and it shows quite a bit of tear and wear all around. Then again, it would be <$20K and looks from a few yards away pretty nice. If I could get the fabric properly repaired, I could start flying it right away and upgrade things as I please over the next few years.

May I ask you to have a look at the attached pictures? I figured that I could put a patch on the worn fabric at the door frame and re-do the long patch on the belly. Any objections?

What however concerns me is the apparently failing glue of the seam on the wing. Is there a way to properly fix it? Do you believe this is an indication that other seams might have also been insufficiently glued?
    What about the damage on the flaperon? It doesn’t look like much, but it was certainly exposed to quite a bit force. I am therefore wondering, if the flaperon hinges and the underlying structure might have also been damaged?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Kitfox IV – What to do about damaged fabric and aileron?

You know, if you look at some of the aircraft around here on the forum, if your OK with recovering it, you could have an awesome ride. Just look at Mangy Fox.
    There are several others on here also.
    IMHO it is the flapperon that I could not live with and thats not a huge project to undertake. The fabric at the door would be easily repaired using Oratex Fabric as a patch.
    Eddie

In fact, it would appear that the patch on the belly is likely Oratex. That patch itself looks questionable and its very simple to use with far better finish than what is seen there.

@ Eddie:

Thank you for your response. Actually, I would not shy away for covering a plane, I just do not want to be under pressure that that I have to do this immediately.

The more I think about it, the more I like the thought of getting an inexpensive plane which is airworthy, but which shows some wear and tear. Over the next winters I could then re-do the interior, the panel, install a Zipper kit, replace the fabric and so on...

What are your thoughts on the peeling edges of the fabric on the wing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you know what type of covering process was used? If it was polyfiber, and I had the plane, I would lift the edges of the finishing tape and clean it as good as I could and then reglue it with poly tac. Finish tapes are usually glued down with poly brush, but the tac should work good in this case. I have done that before and it worked fine. With all the colors right there, I would try to avoid pealing the tape off and putting a new one down. The tape isn't structural, all it does is double up the fabric to help whatever is under it to not chafe through the fabric. On the door, I would probably bend up some aluminum covers. Obviously the door rubs there, and the next fabric will get worn away also. Someone else just was posting about the SS covers they got from Kitfox. JImChuk

my thought is that wear on the door opening is not from the door, it usually lays flat to the outside. I think this is from somebody brushing against that with his behind on entry. haha
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Do you know what type of covering process was used? If it was polyfiber, and I had the plane, I would lift the edges of the finishing tape and clean it as good as I could and then reglue it with poly tac. [...] I would try to avoid pealing the tape off and putting a new one down. [...]
    Sounds good, I don't know what material it is, though.

I just suggested to my wife that we should fly to Florida this weekend and check the plane out. We were planning to spend up to $30K. For the more than $10K we would save by buying this plane, we could re-cover it, do the interior and would then have everything brand new and exactly the way we want it. Let's see what the boss has to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    [...] I think the guy that is from somebody brushing against that with his behind on entry. haha
    I thought so too....

I think by the time you replace the panel, recover it, replace the interior, and replace the flaperon you will have far more than $10,000 into it. Then you still end up with a 1200 hour engine. A Zipper kit will renew the top end but not the bottom end. If it was me I would keep looking.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Looks like it would be a good plane for flying in the sticks. Kinda like a truck that already has scratches so you don't mind driving it through mesquite to go hunting. BTW, what would a recovering and basic paint job cost on a plane? Assuming that it includes the labor.

Quote Originally Posted by alienwes View Post
    [...] BTW, what would a recovering and basic paint job cost on a plane? Assuming that it includes the labor.
    I don't know about labor, but I understand that fabric, glue, chemicals, paint and whatever else is needed to cover a Kitfox cost between $2k and $3k. Oratex a bit more.