Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Belly Fabric Forward Tube Wrap- Series 5

Default Belly Fabric Forward Tube Wrap- Series 5

The forward tube for the fabric wrap is the aft end of the rudder pedal plywood. The manual doesn't have much on it. The picture in the 2003 manual (fig C-2) shows the plywood in place. What's the consensuses as to how to do this area? Remove the rudder pedal attachments and plywood- wrap.... or leave in place and wrap as far as possible?
    Everything is fitted at this moment. Cables/springs/brake lines.
    Thanks.
    Andy

Default Re: Belly Fabric Forward Tube Wrap- Series 5

Hi Andy,

I was able to get what I considered an adequate wrap in that area without removing the floorboard. I think I carefully lifted up the rear edge of that floorboard and "blocked" it up with popsicle sticks, or something like that, in order to get a good 270 deg. wrap. Since I used Oratex, it may have been a little more tricky because of iron access to apply heat & pressure... that's where my small model airplane covering iron came in handy. With Polyfiber it should be pretty easy.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

No need to remove anything but it does help to loosen the floorboard screws to tuck the fabric around the tubes and get a good wrap. As long as the screws are loose it is a good time to install the firewall extension mounting clips if you haven't done so already.

John P

Thanks, guys. I can get the outboard rudder pedal attach bracket loose, but the inboard is not so much. Not without removing everything. The aft screw is way more difficult to get to with the brake cylinders installed. I can get under the plywood floorboard though. Andy

I'm doing the same job right now and had the same question . I'm going to pre fit the fabric first and then install floor boards and then finish covering belly wish me luck. PS Andy did you make the floor your self

Quote Originally Posted by N14ND View Post
    Thanks, guys. I can get the outboard rudder pedal attach bracket loose, but the inboard is not so much. Not without removing everything. The aft screw is way more difficult to get to with the brake cylinders installed. I can get under the plywood floorboard though. Andy
    That sounds good, Andy. I didn't have to loosen anything, just blocked the board up a little like I said... the floorboard was flexible enough to allow that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    No need to remove anything but it does help to loosen the floorboard screws to tuck the fabric around the tubes and get a good wrap. As long as the screws are loose it is a good time to install the firewall extension mounting clips if you haven't done so already.

John P
    John P - What are the firewall extension mounting clips you are referring to? I don't recall seeing any reference to them in my build manual. A pic, if you have one would be nice!
    Bob K