Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member--searching for my 1st Kitfox!

Default Re: New member--searching for my 1st Kitfox!

As Pete said, the model 3 with a 912 are real kick to fly. Lots of performance although a little less useful load at 1050 gross weight. Performance is stellar.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Well, if you're on a low budget I'd seriously consider a 582 powered Kitfox 4. Of course, they're getting hard to find, most have been re-powered to a 912, mine included. But when I went searching I found a rather nice IV with a 582 grey head and flew the heck out of it for four years and about 600 hours. 582 powered 3's are easier to find and are just as fun, just a bit slower. You didn't mention your mission, other than to get flying, so I'd give that some thought. If you do like me and fly mostly solo, and don't really care how fast, and nearly always fly low, then a 582 would be fine to get the hook in really hard. Then you can sell your kids, mortgage the home, rent the wife, and get what you really want.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Hey guys,

So I had seriously considered getting a two-stroke Kitfox for a while based on cost alone, however after researching and pricing out the long-term maintenance/teardown expenses of a two-stroke I opted to search for a four stroke. Nothing against two strokes, and I know the TBO of the 912 is not cheap in itself, but a low time motor should last me quite a while I would imagine. I like my dirt bikes and other toys that are powered by the wingy ding ding motors, I would just prefer more power at my 6000 foot elevation while being able to lug around a second person without worry (not that the two-stroke couldn't, but piece of mind always plays a factor). Another couple Kit Foxes popped up on barnstormers within the past few days, but they are a little north of my budget. As the winter months continue I'm sure more will be revealed

I have 1300+ hours behind 2 strokes, and think they are a really great option if you can't afford a 912. But after flying a 912 for approx 500 hrs in a Kitfox 4, I'd wait to save up a bit more money to buy a 912 powered Kitfox if possible. The 912 was essentially designed for early Kitfoxes, so it literally is a match made in heaven....and it flies like it.