Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking a prop

Default Re: Picking a prop

That's good news. The wife will like the lower price.

Did you ever figure what gear ratio you have? I may not keep the 3 blade 68" IVO I have. It would work fine with a 2.58 or 2.62 ratio gearbox. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Did you ever figure what gear ratio you have? I may not keep the 3 blade 68" IVO I have. It would work fine with a 2.58 or 2.62 ratio gearbox. JImChuk
    I went through all the paperwork and I see no mention of engine or gearbox. Can you believe that? The airframe log does indicate he changed the plugs every once in a while. But there is no engine log book. When I had the engine done I did get a book, but I'll be damned if I can find it tonight. Wife's filing system...

Is the ration stamped on the case anywhere? I've gone through my pre-teardown photos but see no data tag for the gearbox.

Take a spark plug out, find top dead center on the piston with probe. Turn the prop through one revolution and count how many times the piston comes back to TDC. Most likely you have either a 3-1 or 2.62-1 gear ratio. A guy just posted an IVO prop on the AvidFoxFlyersForum. Not sure if you are a member there. Here is a link if it will let me do it. JImChuk http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.p...op-3-blade-lh/

I finally had the chance to work on the airplane tonight. I have never in almost 20 years had to mow the runway all the way into October. What a time waster. Anyway, the ratio is 3:1. And I'm still looking for help on a prop. Jim Chuk, you still have something?
    Jay

Not sure at this point. I'm waiting to get my 2 blade Warp back from the factory. I sent it there to be inspected and balanced. If it comes back good to go, I may sell the 3 blade 68" IVO I have. I also have a couple of 3 blade Warp drive props, but I'm not sure what I want to do with them yet. One is 70" taper tip, the other is 70" square tip. Jim Chuk

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    I finally had the chance to work on the airplane tonight. I have never in almost 20 years had to mow the runway all the way into October. What a time waster. Anyway, the ratio is 3:1. And I'm still looking for help on a prop. Jim Chuk, you still have something?
    Jay
    I have a couple of props that I am going to sell as I did not use the 582 in my model IV. I have a warp 2 blade great shape but I could never get it to balance to my satisfaction. $300USD
    I have a three blade Ultralight IVO that came with the plane, $400 USD
    I also have a GSC that appears OK offers?
    I have a GSC that came with my 912 that the factory said was not airworthy.
    I will be putting these in the classified sections but noticed your looking and thought you might like first shot.
    By the way IVO does not recommend the 3blade Ultralight prop on a 3 to 1 gearbox due to harmonics. I ran one on my Buzzard for 400hrs with no problems.
    Norm
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I have a couple of props that I am going to sell as I did not use the 582 in my model IV. I have a warp 2 blade great shape but I could never get it to balance to my satisfaction. $300USD
    I have a three blade Ultralight IVO that came with the plane, $400 USD
    I also have a GSC that appears OK offers?
    I have a GSC that came with my 912 that the factory said was not airworthy.
    I will be putting these in the classified sections but noticed your looking and thought you might like first shot.
    By the way IVO does not recommend the 3blade Ultralight prop on a 3 to 1 gearbox due to harmonics. I ran one on my Buzzard for 400hrs with no problems.
    Norm
    I'm not mounting a GSC again due to life limit. I have never heard of the harmonic issue with the IVO. Is that on their web site? And I want to stick with a three blade. Thanks anyway.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    I have never heard of the harmonic issue with the IVO. Is that on their web site?
    Jay
    I don't think it is their website. Got the infrormation talking to one of the guys at factory. The IVO 3 blade is a super smooth prop. I liked mine enough on the old plane that I put a three blade IVO on my 912. By the way I am using the ultralight on the 912 as many do.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

I think the harmonics on the IVO three blade with 3-1 reduction is less of a problem when you use a knurled faced hub. I think IVO said that. Plus put the tape across the blades at the hub to see if you get any movement. I've ran a 3 blade IVO on a 3-1 gear ratio quite a bit also. JImChuk