Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Used ABI 3224 Tailwheel

Default Used ABI 3224 Tailwheel

When I bought my unbuilt SS7 kit from the owner it came with the nosewheel assembly. I plan on building it as a tailwheel so I've been looking around for possible tailwheels. I have an opportunity to pick up a used ABI 3224 tailwheel so I'm considering it. The tailwheel has a straight steering arm rather than the bent style and appears to be in pretty good shape. Does anyone see any issues with this working on my plane and what would you expect to pay for one of these used?

Default Re: Used ABI 3224 Tailwheel

ABI will sell you new parts individually, including the steering arm; they are completely rebuildable and it is very easy to do. I rebuilt mine after about 1000 hours. There are shims, springs, pins, and thrust washers that wear over time and get somewhat loosey-goosey (read tailwheel shimmy).
    I believe the Kitfox (S7) works better with the bent steering arm.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Used ABI 3224 Tailwheel

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    ABI will sell you new parts individually, including the steering arm; they are completely rebuildable and it is very easy to do. I rebuilt mine after about 1000 hours. There are shims, springs, pins, and thrust washers that wear over time and get somewhat loosey-goosey (read tailwheel shimmy).
    I believe the Kitfox (S7) works better with the bent steering arm.
    I saw all the parts were available which is good. I looked and the steering arm is $317.00 and the rebuild kit is $369.00 if I need it. The person was asking $875 and agreed to $700.00 if I want it. I just want to make sure it's still a good deal if I had to replace stuff. I definitely wasn't expecting 317.00 when I looked up the steering arm but if everything else ended up in good condition it wouldn't be too bad. 700 seems a lot lower than what I'm seeing around the web for used 3200 style tailwheels.