Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your panel

Default Re: Show us your panel

Dave,
    They are NTE Round Hole Illuminated Rocker, Square Bezel switches. LEDs come in red (54-645), amber (54-645A), green (54-645G) and blue (54-645B). They run $3.50 to just under $5 each. I get mine from arcade-electronics.com for about $3.50 each although the big stores carry them too. I like to support the little shops...
    Spec sheet attached.
    These switches are rated 20A at 12VDC!
    I am using a dimmer as they can get pretty bright and if you plan on any night flying they might be a bit much. The dimmer I found that works with these lights is from Oznium.com.
    https://www.oznium.com/led-dimmer-knob
    Regards
    Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Thanks for the info Jeff....the 20 amp rating is great; also, the dimmer spec says up to 6 amps of LEDs - more than enough reserve!

Dave s

When you hook the switch up pin 1 is 12v supply, pin 2 is the load, and pin 3 goes to the - output of the dimmer. The + output of the dimmer is not used. The Input + and - of the dimmer need to be connected to your lighting power source and ground. Be advised that this dimmer pulls power in the off state so you need to be able to isolate power from this circuit when the aircraft is not in use.
    Nice thing about the dimmer is that it has an off position and has a slight resistance to rotation. Also comes with a black and a chrome knob so you can pick which you like.
    Regards
    Jeff
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Very!! nice layout. What is the MGL instrument you have and how do you like the white panel color? Thinking of doing mine in white.

Mark

Its an MGL E-1 used to replace the old quad gauge. I'm very happy with it.

I like the white panel color. It helps me to separate the instruments when scanning across them. I noticed when I was flying the 172 with the black panel the instruments all sort of blended together and it took me a little longer to focus on one.

I would think white might be too much glare if the sun was shining in somewhat from the rear directly on the panel. I would suggest some lighter matt finish color in between white and black. My 2 cents (glare really bothers my eyes).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

It's actually more of a creme color with a satin finish so it's not glossy. I've never had a glare complaint from the panel. The dash you would definitely want something that doesn't cast a glare on the windshield though.

I'm thinking of using white epoxy primer with a gloss reducing additive which also tones down the bright white because of the additives tea like color. My glare shield will remain black. I just bought the MGL RV-1 Infinity for Rpm, the Velocity AHRS with SP6 Magnetometer for compass only for now and the V6 transceiver. I will have a mix of vintage steam and modern digital and wont have to screw the compass to the glare shield.

I didn't want the potential of glare from my instrument panel when using the G3X so I stuck with flat grey and flat black.

A light color panel can reflect more light onto other things, like your clothes which can be seen on the instruments or screens of your panel.

Never the less I really like the look of gregsgt's panel, the instruments really stand out.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Started My IP this weekend not quite finished yet But it is started,
    Attached Images Attached Images