Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder Centering

Default Rudder Centering

I just finished installing the rudder pedals and cables on my SS7 and am curious what keeps the rudder centered? I will install the cable eyes back at the rudder horns as carefully as I can to center the rudder, but that is difficult to do perfectly. It appears to me that the rudder centering is dependent on the cable eye location and the strength of the rudder pedal centering springs. Is there no fine tuning adjustment, or rudder trim adjustment? What if the pedal springs weaken over time unevenly? Is it just the slipstream that mostly keeps the rudder in neutral?

Jim

Default Re: Rudder Centering

Don't worry if the rudder doesn't self center. It's normal. In flight, it will be a non-issue. Mine needed no trim to keep the ball centered in cruise. Most of the time your feet will be on the pedals anyway and it will be second nature to keep everything coordinated/centered based on the feeling in your butt (ie "flying by the seat of your pants").
    Wade

I suppose not having the adjustable turnbuckles will work, but I had the same concerns you mentioned. I went a little further and got them... http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Fuselage11.html
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

The rudder springs on the adjustable rudder system do not center the rudder. Their purpose is to keep tension on the cables and prevent the cables from slapping the fuselage fabric. If you move the rudders by hand you will see that the tension on one side increases as the other side decreases, so there is no centering effect.

Slipstream alone centers the rudder pedals in flight. For the pedals to be even when the rudder is centered it requires much care in crimping the Nicopress sleeves on the cables. If you find your pedals are off a bit, you can make slightly longer or shorter links where the cable attaches at the rudder control horn.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

I'm tacking on to this thread rather an starting another. This pertains to a KF5. I am in the process of attaching my rudder cables to the control horn on the rudder however in doing the testing it appears that the cables are going to rub against the fiberglass fairing on the vertical stabilizer and likely the fabric between where it will exit the fabric back to the vertical stabilizer.

I'm toying with the idea of welding some metal to the horn to widen the horn out so that the cables won't rub on anything. Has anyone else had this experience of the horn not being wide enough?

I glued a small leather strip to the rudder where the cable rubbed on the rudder. It works well.

Maverick,

We have an early S7 which has the same short rudder horns as the S5. Did similar to Mr Bill except affixed a piece of curved poly plastic from a food container to each side with a couple SS screws through the fiberglass faring to match the curve of the rudder fairing. This keeps the cable and link off the rudder. The cable does not contact the VS on our plane. Next year will be 10 years flying and no wear whatsoever.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I have the left over pieces that I cut off of the rudder pedals for installing the adjustable pedals. I am going to use those to weld to the existing control horn. This will lengthen the horn 1" on each side and align the attach point with the trajectory of the cable as it comes out of the fuselage. I'll post a pic when I finish it.
    Thanx. I appreciate your comments.