Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 7' or 8' height for trailer?

Default 7' or 8' height for trailer?

Is 7' on a enclosed trailer for a model 4 kitfox enough for should I get the 8' extension? I might plan on doing some bigger tires but nothing too crazy in size. Will this still give me plenty of room?

Default Re: 7' or 8' height for trailer?

Sitting in the 3-point stance your propeller will most likely be the highest point.

My model IV, with the tall Grove main gear spring and much modified rudder, when sitting in the 3-point attitude, the top of the rudder is still below the windshield. This is sitting on 26" Airstreaks and a very tall Grove tail spring with an 8" tailwheel. Of course a 3-blade prop will make things taller than my 2-blade prop. This will be your limiting factor.

All this being said, I think that my plane could fit under a 7' ceiling.

Mangy Fox.jpg

Mangy.jpg

HOWEVER! A trailer, like a shed or a garage is never big enough! I'd take the 8' option for nothing other than having some more storage room if its ever needed.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have a Model 7 on a Tundra light tailwheel, 5" taller gear, and 8.50s and my highest point is my three bladed prop with one blade straight how and that is 74". 7' should be fine.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Keep in mind that when you fold the wings you will need to take the load off of the tailwheel spring. Also, with the wings folded, if you have fuel in the wing tanks and they are not level, fuel will leak out of the filler caps. Bringing the folded wings level will raise the tail, this height must be considered in the height of the trailer, better to go higher in the beginning than trying to add height later.

Ralph