Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Paint question

Default Paint question

I want to change the color of my fuselage and flaperons, ect. It is already painted and is in good shape. What paint do I use? I am going to use aerothane on the fabric but don't know if that is good for the metal parts.

Default Re: Paint question

I used Stits EP-420 on metal/fiberglass parts prior to spraying Aero-Thane.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

It would probably be best to contact the paint manufacturer directly. They can tell you what is compatible and best practice to prep the existing paint.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Branden,

Aerothane is the perfect product over metal, with correct prep and priming depending on what is already there.

I think you need to work through two things -1) what kind of paint is already there and what does the manufacturer of what is already there recommend. 2) If the plane is already painted with poly fiber products, get the polyfiber manual and if possible talk to a polyfiber rep.

FWIW - aerothane on metal parts already painted (with the original paint in good condition) with polyfiber products, either aerothane or polytone, will take aerothane over the top very well provided the existing polytone or aerothane is cleaned and sanded well - best with water sanding. Bare metal should be primed per Airfox's comment - also if there is any thin spots on the original polytone or aerothane.

Fabric - stick precisely with manufacturers recommendations of the OEM paint - whatever it is.

Most failures on re-painting projects are because of insufficient cleaning and/or insufficient tooth or prep on the existing surface - also too many layers too thick is not good.

If there is some problem with the original paint - that has to be resolved first.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks guys