Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: boot cowl to windshield seal

Default boot cowl to windshield seal

I had a horrible fit (gap) of my boot cowl to windshield when i finished my plane. I didn't realize it was so bad til i was done. I lived with it for a year and couldnt take it any more. I had to fix the gap. I put wax paper on the windshield and built up a fill with superfil. I shaped it and then fiberglassed over top of the superfil. I then put a strip of rubber window seal from home depot on the base of the windshield. I think i have a leak proof seal now and it looks a lot better. Pics are still primer, will be painted blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: boot cowl to windshield seal

I think that looks pretty good, Ken. Your boat looks nice too, from what I can see of it!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Nice job Ken, builders usually find out how well (or not) this area is sealed , the first time they park outside in the rain (as I did at OSH many years ago) I always carry a roll of electrical tape in my tool bag if i am going to be parked outside to cover the joint. Bruce N199CL

John McBean said they were using the same stuff to attach the tanks to seal this area on the LSAs. That’s probably what I will do and finish it off with black caulk so the white doesn’t stick out on my black plane.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3