Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 50hrs in 60 days

Default 50hrs in 60 days

My Super Fox hit the air about Sept 7th of this year and it now has hit the 50hr mark. There have been a few bumps in the road.

At about 20hrs a hose blew and the water drained from motor and rad. I noticed the smell and the temperature raised quickly. Luckily I was two miles from a friends strip when this happened and I was able to quickly put the plane on the ground and effect the repairs.

At about 35hrs the tailwheel spring broke on landing. The plane had about 375hrs on it when I rebuilt it and I did not check the tailspring. Looking at it closely it appears that it was fractured for some time. I was lucky enough to find a Maul Tundra tailwheel with new spring and the difference in ride is amazing. Much nicer on the ground. Unfortunately when the spring broke it did some damage to the rudder and took some repair. It was minimul and I was able to be back in the air the next day.

At about 45hrs as I lifted off the runway at a strip 75miles from home there seemed to be a loss of power and a change in the volume of the exhaust. I called an immediate return to the runway and completed a circuit and put my Fox back on the ground. An inspection found the pilot side flange on the rear muffler had come off. Thus the loud exhaust and apparent loss of power. A quick trip to an Canadian Tire to purchase some M8 by 1.25 nuts and I was back in the air.

So while I have put more than 50hrs on my KitFox in about 60 days there have been some issues. Nothing that serious, but not all smooth sailing. Still this is one great plane and I am getting the bugs out.

https://youtu.be/rp27eX2h8s4 The SuperFox at play

airshot.jpg

The SuperFox where she is meant to be. IN THE AIR
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Default Re: 50hrs in 60 days

Way to go Norm!

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Congrats, Norm! What an adventure. Great looking plane. Just curious about what hose blew. I sprung a tiny leak in one of the 1" hoses because it was too close to the left rear exhaust manifold (I believe). So I made a baffle to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Floog View Post
    Congrats, Norm! What an adventure. Great looking plane. Just curious about what hose blew.
    It was the hose on the passenger side going to the rad from my one inch aluminum tube. Hose clamp was not tight enough. I should have made it a habit to pull the cowls and inspect more closely every 10hrs or so. I am still in the testing stages with the longest distance flight about 200 miles. I am headed south for Jan, Feb, and Mar so I am putting some time on it while the weather is good and the air is smoth. Soon she will go into hibernation.

What an adventure she has been.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Nice video, thanks for sharing that, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
    Nice video, thanks for sharing that, as well.
    Glad you liked it This is a video filmed from the Kitfox cockpit of a 195.
    https://youtu.be/gEE7jdk8IcY
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Hi Norm, I had a similar experience with a hose coming off of the aluminum tube to the radiator. This was due to me not beading the tube. No more issues for me after properly beadindg the ends of the tube.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Hi Norm, I had a similar experience with a hose coming off of the aluminum tube to the radiator. This was due to me not beading the tube. No more issues for me after properly beadindg the ends of the tube.
    Your right.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV