Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiev prop

Default Re: Kiev prop

Well guess what ! As my new Kiev went out the door , I double checked the paper work and found out that I had the wrong prop for my engine ! The specification sheet showed that the distributor sent the wrong prop. My engine has a 2.27 gearbox ratio vs the 2.43. The one I had was for the 2.43. The specs list another model prop for the 2.27. I called the distributor and asked him to check with the factory to see if this made any difference. If it does,I will order another one cause, I LIKE IT !
    Dick

I'm sure happy to hear that you received the wrong prop. I didn't buy my Kiev based on the good looks alone. I had heard good things about their performance and about how smooth and quiet they are. I hope you'll let us know how this all turns out. Thanks, James Thomas

Well,I did it again. I bought the 67.5 inch Kiev which is supposed to be spot on for my engine and gear ratio. The last one was for the 100hp and and gave me much degraded performance so I sold it to a friend that had a 912ULS. The new prop is beautiful,turbine smooth and quiet. In fact a neighbor said there was a dramatic decrease in noise when I took off. Those are the good points (which is enough to keep it)Unfortunately, it is no better in performance then my Warp was. Oh well !
    I had concidered the IVO cause the reports are good but it is too "butt ugly" for me and looks like it should be on a model airplane.
    In reality, my plane has alot of drag and a small engine so perhaps I am expecting a bit much. More speed would be nice (cruise @ 5000 rpm is 90mph) but climb is better and more fun. I don't fly very far anyway.
    There, I have just talked myself into liking my Kiev even more !
    Dick

I'm glad quiet and smooth is for you. For me my Butt ugly IVO pushes my airplane at 120mph. When I had the 90 with the ultra light prop I was getting about 117mph. Oh well I guess speed isn't everything.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Hey y'all, let me jump in with my 2 cents worth. We're comparing apples and oranges here. Dick's model 4 is a 80 hp, draggy, long wing, fat tire plane with a fixed pitch prop that cruises at 90 at 5000 rpm. I seriously doubt a fixed pitch Ivo would do any better. On the other hand Steve's model 4 is a Speedster with 25% more power and an in-flight (if I remember right) adjustable prop. Steve didn't mention cruise rpm. To some 5500 rpm is cruise and to some like Dick, 5000 rpm is his preferred cruise rpm. I have an Ivo on another plane. It's a good prop but with a fixed pitch, I don't believe it to be any better that many other of the better props. I have a Kiev on an 80 hp 912 Speedster that is not yet finished and I'll have to wait and see how it performs but one thing I know, it is about 10 times prettier than the Ivo. That might not matter to you but it matters to me. Since Just Aircraft uses it, there's probably a good reason since it's priced higher than the Ivo. The comparisons tests I've seen doesn't show much difference in thrust among different props so all things being equal, I'll go with pretty every time. Who doesn't like pretty airplanes. The good looks is what sold me on the Kitfox to begin with. OK, I rambling again. I'm enjoying the discussion. Y'all keep it up. James Thomas

I had a long wing at one time, when I switched to short wing the speeds didn't change. I originally had a powerfin prop and went to the IVO prop, I jumped up about 30mph. Now if you want to go against my airplane with a IVO fixed, say the word, I'll set my prop for a good fixed spot and blow your keiv away. I can set my prop at any cruise speed and once set is a fixed pitch prop, I'll just loose on the take off, which I feel will still blow you away.

Oh, and right now that 120mph is at setting 5200cruise because that's what the factory wants wide open. I can lower it to 5000 and still have the same cruise speed. Most the time I run full throttle and just adjust to the rpm I want. On take off I just make the rpm stay below 5800, once level flight I adjust to bring it down to the 5200. The only advantage to inflight adjust is for take off. My cruise will always be the same weither I adjusted on the ground or in the air. Cruise at 5000 is 5000 no matter if adjusted in the air or on the ground. sorry my prop rules.

I don't care what my prop looks like. When I'm flying and having fun I can't see it.

my plane also has the fat tires
    Last edited by Slyfox; 06-17-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

And Steve,your plane has a bigger engine than mine (hmmmm sounds like a pecker contest)
    I kind of figured this would get some results when I posted and called the Ivo "butt ugly" but that is good. It's good to trade ideas
    If I were to clean my plane up and install a bigger engine then of course I would get more speed BUT that is also more money and I have already put alot into it already (new "bush gear",electric trim,instruments,prop,etc)
    I now have my plane where I want it. It is a beauty to me and performs well. I have dispatched all of the items that bugged me about the plane and I really enjoy it.
    I have heard nothing but good about the Ivo but again when I saw the Kiev,that was it. I wanted it. It is not getting me the extra cruise speed as I was led to believe it would but holly mackeral is it smooth,and I haven't lost any speed as with the earlier prop. On approach it is a sheer delight as the "big board" effect of the blade (compared to my Warp) gives a beautiful more controlable descent profile. It is difficult to put into words but you can sure feel the difference. The prop is 1 lb lighter and has to be easier on the gearbox.
    However,I am not giving my Warp up yet as I am still in the test phase with my Kiev. I have adjusted the pitch 3 times and am going to do some more minor tweeking. That Warp is a fine prop,tough as nails!
    James,I think you will like the Kiev. If you have any questions about it give me a call
    Dick

Not meaning for this to be a pecker contest. I did state in a earlier post that I had both the long wing and the 80 912ul engine and I still went 90mph with the powerfin prop. When I shortened the wings down the speed did not increase just my turn radius increased and beleive me that gave me a big smile. Than I put the IVO prop on (this is with the 80 engine) and the speed went way up. Now I have the 100 engine and the speed only went up 3 mph. But my take off, wow try about 2000fpm. I am totally sure if I put my aircraft back to 80 engine long wing with the ultralight IVO I would blow you away. Another thing I have on my aircraft is that heavy grove gear.

There are three things that I would not trade out on my airplane, The engine, either it be the 80 or 100 rotax, I think either engine is suppurb on the kitfox. My IVO prop, again either the ultra light or the medium. Lastly the grove gear, I've landed on some pretty rough stuff, the gear takes a lickn' and keeps on tickn'.

I always fly low and slow through the trenches and flatten out the prop to take off setting and pull the throttle back to 5000rpm, that still gives me 82kts, seems this is your full throttle balls to the walls speed. I still have another 30mph left when I want it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Steve,
    My cruise speed both with the Warp and Kiev is about 88 mph @ 5000 rpm.Max cruise @ 5500 is about 100.
    I would sure prefer the shorter wings as you have. These long wings are a pain in the hot turbulent air we have here.It can sure be a rough ride much worse than the Pacer I used to own. Sometimes I feel like a cork riding on the water. I have thought of shorting then but don't know I want to go thru the hassle. Comes a point when you have to accept things the way that they are (such as this horrible oil spill I have in my back yard !)
    And wether I go fast or go slow I still have to look at the same old crappy flat landscape. I envy the beautiful country you get to see.
    I used to take my Pacer up to my cabin in the NC mountains but havent been there in the Kitfox yet. I am still trying to find a part time hanger there as I don't want to leave it outside. Not any available.
    Any way ,I digress
    Take care !
    Dick Maddux
    Fox 4, 912UL (80 hp)
    Milton,Fl

I'm really spoiled to what I have here. Great weather (well not today) and great variety of landscapes. Must be why I fly between 300-400 hrs a years.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop