Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 912iS wiring

Default 912iS wiring

I have started wiring my project after receiving my panel from Advanced Flight Systems. I have the 912iS and I’m installing a Dynon Skyview system. I’m electrically challenged, so I’m struggling with the wiring that must be done by me. Today’s question is related to the Harness Interface Connector or HIC. The diagram provided by Kitfox shows the last three pins on both HIC A and B as CAN 2 LA (maint). Does this mean the are used for maintenance? Do I just leave them out? Or do they get pinned and connected somewhere? I’m sure I will have other questions, but I’ll start here. I’m mapping out the EMS harness
    tonight and noticed many of the wires are labeled as “not connected”. How are these wires handled?
    Thanks
    John
    Kitfox S7 SS

Default Re: 912iS wiring

All right John, I’ll be honest, Im challenged here too so I bought my harnesses for that display to 912iS interface. What I have is two D sub plugs each wired with several wires. I refered to the 912iS manual and inserted the wires into the HIC pin out listed for each plug and HIC connector. Yes these are hooking up to a diagnostic tool, I believe referred to as a dongle. Dont quote me on that but I believe its right in the manual. Now, maybe Carl will fill you in on the gadget that I believe he has. Or Go onto Trent Palmers last you tube post on the firewall forward install. He explaines the device on there. Pretty cool. I was to intimidated by electrical I figured that thing was going to cause me a great deal more headache than its worth but Im certain to have a headache when faults start popping up. Maybe Ill invest then.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

John, I also had many "not connected" wires in my Skyview/EMS system. I just left a reasonable length of wire in these places and coiled them up and zip tied them together and left them be. Its amazing after 5 years how many of them I ended up connecting to some new doo-dad I added later.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ive got some of those also that I left there as Jim did.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yep, the two maintenance wires for from the HIC go to DSubs for downloading the files from Lane A and Lane B - I mounted the two D Subs on the panel and get my friendly LAME to download the files as needed for checking. The dongle from Rotax is about $1k so I cant justify that expense.

Cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Your posts are appreciated, and I now understand how to proceed. Just for clarification and to help out future builders, I need to take the maintenance pins from HIC A and HIC B and install a D sub connector for each. These connectors should be accessible for future diagnostics. Any information on pin location in the sub connectors?

John

John, I will be able to help you out later. Im heading to work. This evening I can take pics of the professionally built HIC A & B harnesses. I Have these harnesses and Im not even sure if I didn't get these from Kitfox. My manual states I have harnesses supplied but I bought harnesses from a company in England so I have these that are spares. PM me your preferred contact that I can text you or email you pics. I can Identify the different colored wires and what pins they are inserted.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

The wiring of the HIC to D-sub connectors is shown in the Rotax 912iS Installation manual. Also a adaptor cable should be assembled in order to interface the d-sub connectors with the dongle. It puts the lane A and B maintenance outputs in parallel for entrance into the dongle. That's OK because the software identifies which is data from A and from B. The use of two d-subs for the A and B maintenance output is to keep the two maintenance lanes separate under normal conditions and allowing only one lane to be monitored at a time. However the BUDS program can display both lanes simultaneously. The dongle and a supporting computer is often used while the engine is running for easier detection of faults. And of course the data should be extracted and saved at every 100 hr inspection.

Thanks Neville. When you speak of BUDS, is that the monitor that is mounted in the airframe for real time information or is it just the program used with the Dongle?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

this might help. The pin allocations for the D subs are in installation manual - I think it is 76-00-00 pg 14.

cheer

r
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)