Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: switches and circuit breakers

Default Re: switches and circuit breakers

Thanks Jeff. That is the way I have always felt. Regarding Bob Nuckolls. He was on one of the early Kitfox lists. He was one of the guys as we all are. It was not difficult to disagree with some of what he posted and agree with the rest. When he became the Guru those feelings persisted especially about Circuit Breakers vs. Fuses. Both N96KL and N338S have CBs. I have twelve on 338S - two labeled "Aux" expecting new add ons. The $$ were not a factor in the decision. In the 900 hours I put on 96KL - no breakers popped. No regrets.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I put C Bs on my Fox and was happy to see the 15 amp one popped one day on the electric IVO prop. Happy because it protects the motor on the prop from taking too much load and happy to know the breakers work. My Switches have LEDs in the ends and it was easy to spot that the breaker had popped because the LED was off.
    I like the system.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Always a hot topic, but I look at it this way as an analogy:

If fuses were such a great and safe way of doing wire protection - every house in the country would still be using them instead of circuit breakers!

Kinda makes one think about it a little differently!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    Always a hot topic, but I look at it this way as an analogy:

If fuses were such a great and safe way of doing wire protection - every house in the country would still be using them instead of circuit breakers!

Kinda makes one think about it a little differently!

Greg
    A closer analogy relating to the equipment being protected might be: If circuit breakers were such a great and safe way of doing wire protection, every automobile in the country would be using them instead of fuses.

Obviously, they can both be good and safe ways of doing wire protection. I believe that one of the main reasons for the abandonment of fuses in house wiring was that they could be too easily substituted with improper sizes (or even a coin or slug). Also the load on a particular circuit could be indiscriminately varied all over the map by anyone in a home, so it was probably eventually deemed imprudent to allow people to easily vary the amount of protection on a particular circuit. This could lead to all kinds of other discussions about government feeling the need to protect people from themselves.

I like circuit breakers... got 'em in my first homebuilt. I also like fuses... got 'em in my Kitfox.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

My 912is folks think fuses are good. I have a whole box of em.

Just to throw a curve in the mix, I used "breaker switches" in my plane. They serve the purpose of both items and only half he space is taken in the panel.

Link. Yes they are expensive, but they work very well.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have used breaker switches on previous projects, great way to simplify things and save panel space.

[QUOTE=Av8r3400;65226]Just to throw a curve in the mix, I used "breaker switches" in my plane. They serve the purpose of both items and only half he space is taken in the panel.

I think this just might be the clue. The typical CB pops when over amped and pushed to reset. Fuses would be a definite advantage over these as it allows for testing various circuits independently. The CBs I chose pop, but the button can also be pulled to open the circuit - switch off power. This function I have found to be a real time saver when trouble shooting or adding things and want to check them out without those auto on items running in the background.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I am building a 7SS/912iS using fuses.

I have a Glastar and reworked the panel to install a two screen Garmin G3X
    8 years ago used all breakers

I am going fuses with the Kitfox as I have not had a breaker pop yet

David Kelm

I decided to check the Fuses in the Model 4 that I recently purchased and found that some of the AGC glass fuses were 32 volt DC and some where 250 volt AC.
    Did some research but still don't really understand the difference.Checked out several automotive places that sell fuses and they list both types for sale under automotive.Could someone Please explain to me in as simple of terms as possible about these 2 types of fuses.
    Can I replace a 10 amp fuse in the Fox with either a 10 amp 32 Volt DC or a 10 amp 250 volt AC fuse,will they both provide the same 10 amp protection in the Kitfox?
    THANKS