Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Building tips and hints

Default Re: Building tips and hints

Thats funny

I hope this will be handy when needing to get behind the instrument panel after the boot cowl and windscreen have been permanently installed.
    It's hard to see in the picture, but there is a padded sheet aluminum support temporarily slipped in under the corners of the panel. Braided wire loops over the upper cockpit structure to tabs at the panel brace locations. I have it flipped down now so that I insure that my wiring will have enough slack when complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Hi Gary.....I like it...easy access to the back of the panel.

Curious how the throttle cable and choke/enricher cable work into this as they are quite stiff.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dave, my throttle, choke and cabin heat are on a couple of lower subpanels. The throttle and choke are on one subpanel, but the cabin heat is on a second so that I could move it forward to avoid interference with full throw of the right stick.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I also did this tip-down panel and have been glad I did for almost 4 years now. My supports for the tipped down panel are a little different, but same idea. Yes, the throttle and choke must be mounted on a small sub-panel that hangs below the main panel and can be disconnected with a couple of bolts into nutplates on the main panel lower flange. I find this slightly lower throttle location is very comfortable to the hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I am new to the Kitfox family, but highly motivated about my project by reading daily and a decade of posts. The Australians​ posts about their flights exactly reflects my experience in flying the forested expanse of the East to the high desert of northern Arizona. 58 years as a private pilot with no loss of the thrill of seeing my surroundings from the air.
    I do need some help in identifying my project. I thought my project was a IV 1200. But my reading suggests all the drag reduction Incorporated in the components I am restoring my project may in fact be a Speedster.
    I may be mistaken, but , is the major characteristic difference between the Speedster and the 1200 the length of the wing??
    Can anyone tell me the difference between these wings ? Is it length ??
    Bud

The Speedster was a 4 1200 with a streamlined vertical tail and 3 feet
    shorter wings. Since then the majority of builds of all models have used
    the speedster tail. The speedster wings are one bay shorter on each wing.
    This can be done on any plane, but it is a trade off. Faster at low altitude,
    less float on landing and slightly reduced climb. Living here in the desert
    I like the speedster wings and have a 2000 hour plus model 5 with the
    short wings

Phil Laker

Phil
    Your info answers a lot of questions. What is the overall length of the 1200 wing, or how many​ bays?? Or, should I measure my full wingspan then ask if it is 1200??
    Bud

The long wings have 13.5 foot long spars. Wingtips add another foot for 14.5 feet. Speedster Spars are 12 feet long. The Speedster wings came from the factory with long spars and instructions in the manual to cut 18 inches off the root end
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Phil, Tom,. I do in fact have a 1200 wing also confirmed by info from John McBean. Clearly I will be completing a IV 1200. Should be an interesting licensing challenge since my many parts have come from multiple sources except those I fabricated on my own, !Ike the landing gear. I will plan to use the IV 1200 operators handbook and weight and balance.
    Bud