Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Main fuel shut off location

Default Main fuel shut off location

In my series 6 build I had the main fuel valve mounted on the center console right where the build manual stated to place it. As I was manipulating the flap handle I noticed that my finger tips would always bump into the tail end of the plastic valve handle with the handle in the ON position. My first thought was to just saw off the tail of the plastic handle but I finally decided to move the valve forward on the console by 1 1/2". That eliminated the interference. in the attached picture you'll have to image the flap handle in my hand but you can see where the original position of the valve would be. I eventually plugged up the original hole in the console by riveting in a small backing plate of aluminum sheet behind the hole and then filling the recess with epoxy filed flush with the surface. This may be something to consider for those of you that haven't got to this point in your build yet or someone else who is annoyed to jammed fingertips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Main fuel shut off location

That's interesting. In my SS7 I've never noticed an interference in that area. Wonder if there was a change between the 6 and 7?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

That is interesting and there may have been a design tweak in the series 7 because you would have noticed it right away if the issue was present. It wasn't painful but it was very annoying on my bird before I moved the shutoff valve. Frankly, I was a little surprised when I had searched the forum contents and didn't come up with anyone else complaining about it or showing a fix but it didn't occur to me that I might be a "one off". I bought this kit from a previous builder and there was a small pilot hole in the console already pre-drilled there when I brought it home so its totally possible that it could have been drilled in the wrong location by the previous builder and not by the factory as I have assumed. However, when I've looked at pictures of other builders consoles it appears that some of them might have the same issue as mine did. I could have repositioned the valve in the original hole by just rotated it 90 degrees clockwise and that also could have solved my issue but I didn't have the right line fittings to make that happen and it wasn't what my build manual was directing. It will be interesting to see if anyone else confirms this as an issue in their model 5 or 6.
    Larry Olson
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I have never noticed anything like this on my 5 Outback.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

In relooking at some of the photos in the "show us your console" thread some flap handles appear longer than others which would help eliminate this potential issue. Its possible that my flap handle was actually shortened by the previous owner which may have caused my interference. Bottom line is my issue was resolved and I've attempted to make my experience public just in case anyone else has a similar issue and needs a potential fix to copy.
    Larry Olson
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS