Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 64 of 120 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Sure enough Ross, that would be a good idea.
    I don't get the tail wheel spring issue personally. Ive seen photos so I suppose they are not joking but.... when we land a conventional gear plane we must be setting it down as if it were an egg shell. Hard to believe that that part is so fragile. I have been given a lead to someone here who may be able to trailer it. I will keep you posted. Unfortunately ( or fortunately if your looking at finances ) I have to work the overnight shifts this weekend. I may get the thing washed and waxed though.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, the tailwheel spring issue stems from when you fold the wings back over the tail for transport. There is considerable more weight on the tailwheel than when landing or taxiing. Don’t believe me? Fold back both wings then try to pick up the tail. Don’t throw your back out. The transport tubes welded crossways into the tail are there on purpose. Years back we saw a few earlier models get broken vertical tail posts from leaving the tailwheel on the trailer deck during transport. Newer models are even heavier on the tails.
    Proper securing to the trailer is very important too. Tying the tires down to the trailer so the landing gear remain active and absorb some of the road shock is the correct way.

Look at the photos of Ken Nougaret’s trailer (post #9 in “Loading and unloading a Kitfox SS7” a sticky thread) for the best way to transport on an open trailer. Pay attention to how he unloaded the tailwheel with brackets and how he lashed the tires/wheels to the trailer.👍 This can be duplicated on a flatbed trailer also.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Your absolutely right Steve. I was not considering that added weight. The first time I tried to lift the tail with the wings folded I was shocked. Thanks for the reply.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Here are a couple pics of when I towed. The tail was on a stack of tires that I had preloaded with another strap.

------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Very Helpful Josh. Thank You.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Okay, I have used Josh's technique (plus about twice the number of straps, Im paranoid) and Got the bird to the Hangar! It took far longer than I thought it would. Just myself and my two teenage boys. I didn't really recognize the tension present until the trailer was empty and I was heading home. Maybe able to get the tires changed over and the shims put in next weekend.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie, I remember that feeling from 15 years ago when I had to put 4 years of work and a bunch of money on that trailer and move my Series 5 to the airport. Even though it was only 2 miles on country roads , I was stressed out and looking in the rear view mirror the whole time. Now I frequently bring her home for the condition inspection or major maintenance and it much easier than that first time. (still looking in the mirror though!) Bruce N199CL

Okay the actual numbers on my wheight are 834#. Weight perfectly divided between the two main gears. Tail wheel was 62# This is a nearly fully loaded S7 SS with 912is engine, whirlwind prop, Garmin suite with 10 and 7 inch screens, auto pilot and Oratex fabric. If you have the Laker leading edge you can expect those few pounds additional. My airplane seemed bigger when in my garage. Wide open space of the hangar has shrunk it a bit. Then comes Randy. My plane became a Shriner looking thing in a parade with him in it. You remember the little cars those guys drove around in parades right? So, thanks for the compliments Randy and making me feel more appreciative about my little a.. once more. I'd still accept some additional height though!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Good weight Eddie. Well done. One step closer to being airborne.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I installed the elevator assist spring yesterday. Wow, it neutralized the weight of the elevator 100%. Ok, no lubrication on the elevator bearings yet, but wherever I put the stick the elvator stays now. Prior to this spring the elevator weighed what it weighed and just fell down when you let go of the stick. No more. Nice. If you have attached an auto pilot pitch servo to the pitch bellcrank You will need to modify this trim assist device to make it work.
    In preparation of swapping the tires out to the 22" Dessers, I did the toe in toe out check again. This time I checked it in flight level position as Grove suggests. Whatever caused the different findings, my new measurements seem to suggest I won't need the $63 worth of shims I had purchased based on the previous measurements. I also won't need the longer axle attach bolts to accommodate the shim thickness.
    Last edited by efwd; 12-15-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: incomplete
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X