Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Short Field- FARM

Default Re: Short Field- FARM

As all who love flight seek to understand when one of us departs our ranks, what can be learned and dispersed amoung us so we don’t have to mourn another pilot and friend. Or they us. Time will tell if something can be learned from this sad loss. What we all know for sure today is, our Kitfox family is diminished greatly.

Sincere condolences Reid to you and to Pierre’s family.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hi Reid,

So sorry to hear of this sad accident and condolences to you and Pierre's family.

For you to post in such a factual way that provides timely and focussed reflection on short field flying is a great way of honouring your friend and providing a lasting and useful legacy to our community.

Once again thanks for the post and safe flying.

Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I too am saddened by this, Reid. I know what it's like to lose friends in flying accidents. As Ross said, you honor Pierre by reminding us all that life can be too short, and some things that we love to do can very deeply affect so many people when the unthinkable happens. It's a good reminder to me, to let my family and friends know, often, just how much they mean to me. You just never know. Godspeed to your friend.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Sorry to hear Reid, always hard to lose a friend too early.

Not saying this was part of your friends accident at all but the one thing I don’t like about the 914 is the waste gate failure mode is wide open. Which means if your waste gate cable slips at the wrong time, you’re making around 2/3s the HP you were planning on.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Lthrnek89 View Post
    So... what you are ALL saying is that I should get years of flying experience and then just purchase the 20 acres from my neighbor and cut the tress down. I think we could pull that off.

I have been in an aviation family my entire-life... ( father was a Marine Aviator for 26 years and I was a powerline/crew-chief on F/A-18s in the Marines for 10 years)

so I have learned two things regarding aircraft accidents:

1) Sh!t happens clause.. the unforeseeable with aircraft or personnel (health)
    2) Mitigating Risk.... manage risk... to reduce the possibility of an accident

I get it... thanks again!
    I think it's hours of flying time... in various locations. How fast you accrue them in a year or years... well, that's up to you.

So sorry to hear about the accident and the loss of your friend Reid. That's really tough.

Thanks for using this opportunity to challenge us all to be safer. There are so many things that can be done to make us safer. Training, experience, sharing our close calls and stupid moments. A couple things I always preach to other pilots is "margin, margin, margin" and that we need to be "thinking pilots".
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016