Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windshield tips

Default Re: Windshield tips

Dang, that last post should be put into the builders hints and tips Guy.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I received some photographs sent privately from a couple different reliable sources, and trimmed mine as they had done. Here is a picture for anyone else wondering what these should look like.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks for posting Brian. I'm working this area within the next couple weeks so good to see what others are doing. The tight forming of the w/shield in this area has bothered me since the day I match drilled it at fit-up.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I received some photographs sent privately from a couple different reliable sources, and trimmed mine as they had done. Here is a picture for anyone else wondering what these should look like.

Thanks for this. My manual states to use pop rivets but I think that is with the Polycarbonate. I purchased the molded one for my Kitfox IV build and am looking for the screws and nuts everyone is using for mounting. Also what type of washer is that. Looks plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by klamberth27 View Post
    Thanks for this. My manual states to use pop rivets but I think that is with the Polycarbonate. I purchased the molded one for my Kitfox IV build and am looking for the screws and nuts everyone is using for mounting. Also what type of washer is that. Looks plastic.

I believe mine were #8 stainless machine screws with lock nuts under. You have to be careful and not drill to close to the center because you won't have room for the nut. The plastic washers can be bought at aircraft spruce.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    I believe mine were #8 stainless machine screws with lock nuts under. You have to be careful and not drill to close to the center because you won't have room for the nut. The plastic washers can be bought at aircraft spruce.
    Very good. Thanks!

I ordered the new ss7 style windscreen and install kit from kitfox a few years back and it came with all the hardware. I ended up using double the amount of the seal tape to clear the wing.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Caution about the black seal tape, especially double layer: A number of folks have seen the tape soften up in hot weather and squish out of position to the side.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Caution about the black seal tape, especially double layer: A number of folks have seen the tape soften up in hot weather and squish out of position to the side.
    That's not good...thanks for the heads up Jim!

My windscreen fasteners are just snug with very little pressure, so I hope that's not the case for me. I do have some gray uv stabilized tape that's 3/32 thick if the summer heat does the stock tape in. That black tape would be a serious pita to remove now or after the heat distorted it.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Yes, this is me. I hangar my kitfox in the desert where the hangar gets 140F in the summer. My black tape is halfway out and I am not quite sure how I am going to deal with it. Attempting to remove the windscreen and redo the seals would almost certainly result in cracking it. My current plan is to simply caulk it using the same type that is recommended to seal it to the boot cowl.