Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 6 in vs 8 in wheels

Default 6 in vs 8 in wheels

On a light aircraft like a KF Model 4 what's the "best" or most used bush tire size. I was thinking 21" tires on either 6" or 8" matco wheels. Any reason to go grove over matco?

(Currently on 500-5 Cleveland)

Default Re: 6 in vs 8 in wheels

So I currently have Cleveland wheel and brakes. I have zero issues with them except they're 5.00-5 wheels and I can' find anything bush in that size.

I was thinking I would go with the matco double brakes for anything in the 21" size. This would future proof me.

Other than braking power is there any other reason the wheels or brakes would be better on a Grove over Matco? The price point and reduced weight on the Matco is pretty nice.

The current plan is to buy a setup of wheels and brakes throw them on the plane and then sell my current Clevleand wheel and brakes. They literally have less than 10 hours of time on them.

Default Re: 6 in vs 8 in wheels

On my IV-1050 (now sold) I started with the Douglass 8" ATV wheels and "internal" Matco brakes. I had nothing to complain about with the wheels but the brakes were not acceptable, almost to the point of ineffectual.

After an incident with my bungee truss (documented here) I converted to Grove spring aluminum gear, their wheels and double puck brakes. The improvement with the brakes was nothing short of extraordinary! This was using the same master cylinders and (poorly designed) brake peddles and newly acquired Desser Aero Classic 21/800-6 tires.

For the record, this conversion caused a documented weight gain on that airplane of 12 pounds.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos