Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tail incidence

Default Re: Tail incidence

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    By the way FYI, the SLSA's that Stick & Rudder uses have different flap notches than the SS7 kit plane. The SLSA 1/2 flap notch is not quite as much flap angle as the kit, and the full flap SLSA angle is definitely not as much as the kit. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure the factory can tell you. I trained at S&R and then came home and flew my own kit plane, and I know there is definitely a difference. At S&R we always used full flaps for landing; in my own plane I rarely use more than 1/2 flaps. I believe I was told the difference was to make the SLSA a little less aggressive and safer for newbies than the kit plane. I post this information because when people give their opinions on flap use during landing, you NEED to know whether they are talking SLSA or Kit. All of this only applies to the model 7; I have no idea the situation for earlier models.
    That explains it , because on my Series 5 full flaps make handling very awkward. Roll authority and control harmony goes away with full flaps. I always use 1/2 flap (11 degrees) for takeoff and landing , but the next notch to full flap (22 deg) changes everything. If there is any wind or turbulence, positive control comes into question. Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    By the way FYI, the SLSA's that Stick & Rudder uses have different flap notches than the SS7 kit plane. The SLSA 1/2 flap notch is not quite as much flap angle as the kit, and the full flap SLSA angle is definitely not as much as the kit. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure the factory can tell you. I trained at S&R and then came home and flew my own kit plane, and I know there is definitely a difference. At S&R we always used full flaps for landing; in my own plane I rarely use more than 1/2 flaps. I believe I was told the difference was to make the SLSA a little less aggressive and safer for newbies than the kit plane. I post this information because when people give their opinions on flap use during landing, you NEED to know whether they are talking SLSA or Kit. All of this only applies to the model 7; I have no idea the situation for earlier models.

I concur with Jim 100% on this. Our kit S7 behaves similarly to Jim's description regarding full flaps. Half flaps is 11 degrees and full is 22 degrees. Although the plane takes off and lands in any flap configuration I almost always use 1/2 flaps for landing. I found the stall speed reduction between half and full is not much at all - maybe 1 mph or so, so not much of an advantage while the yaw generation, particularly in rapidly varying wind conditions with 22 degrees can keep a person busy.

Yes - for the S7 you have to consider if you are flying a kit or an LSA when discussing flaps.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Just wondering. Why would you not tweek the settings of the flapperon angle so that you can utilize the multiple flap settings. Or does the last flap setting come into play if the aircraft is heavy with Passenger and bags? Seems to me that if it were rigged so that you don't ever use a notch or two then you could adjust it to be less aggressive.

Eddie, there is no way to tweak the flaps. You have to set them at neutral with the lever in the most forward notch (per the rigging instructions). What you can do and I wish I had done it, is put another notch in the flap lever detent about 1/2 way between the 1/2 and full flap notches. This keeps the 1/2 flap notch where it is (a very useful setting for T/O and most landings), but adds a 3/4 flap notch which is very close to the SLSA full flap notch. I think this would be the perfect setup, giving a slow but not too tricky setting for shorter fields, and then still have the full aggressive flap setting for those rare real short fields. This can be done with a simple addition of a notch on the detent before you rivet it in place and cover the console with fabric. I understand it can be done with the detent plates in place, but it is kind of difficult. I believe Scott (Airfox) has done it. I may try to do it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Got it. That makes sense. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Piero View Post
    Could anyone tell us what the incidence of the tail plane relative to the wing should be? (or vice versa,...). Piero
    Using my digital level it looks like the horizontal stabilizer angle of attack is about 2.5 to 3.0 degrees lower than the angle of a line created by a straight edge on the bottom of the wing at the first wing rib. This would give the typical nose up pitch with power, but result on the nose down pitch when power is reduced.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Smile Re: Tail incidence

Thank you Lowell, this is the information I needed. All other suggestions from the community are also very much appreciated. Now we will try to get plane back in flying conditions. Wish me luck.

Piero