Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: uavionix question

Default uavionix question

I have the echouat with the skyfyx gps ant. Using avare app on tablet. Simple, simple, simple hookup. Leave it to me to have problems. I completed hookup yesterday. Flew today. I never saw anything appear on the app even though it said connected via wifi. I figured i probably have to do something in the app to see traffic and weather. The lights were flashing green and red.
    I stopped for breakfast and when i fired up again i saw that i couldnt connect (ping xxxx) not in range. When i got home i found i didnt have any lights on the echo. I pulled the plug and checked voltage. Just under 3v. Thought i made a bad crimp connection. Put a new connector on, checked voltage and got 12v. Plugged it back into the echo and nothing. A couple of times i got the green light on but it wouldnt last. I just kept trying different configurations, grounds, fuses, etc. Sometimes i would see 6v or 1.5v. Nothing is consistant or making sense. I wonder if the unit is somehow damaged? Any thoughts?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: uavionix question

Hello Ken,
    You may want to do a performance check with the FAA.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

This may tell you the extent of your problems. Good luck!

Tom

Ken, I would recommend calling Uavionix tech support. They are knowledgeable and friendly and happy to get you going. I recently installed their system and on my first flight there were a few red flags on the FAA performance test. One call to tech support and they had it figured out and I was up and running on the next flight.Also, I tried Avare and found it wasn't working very well so I suspected that app wasn't ready for prime time, yet. I use naviator app on a tablet, and traffic and weather work fine for the ADSB "IN" , and FAA perf test was passed for ADSB "Out" . Good luck , Bruce

If you aren't getting consistent voltage at the plug, you need to fix that first. If you do have an issue with the equipment or setup, you won't be able to diagnose it if you can't reliably power it. It does sound like a loose connector somewhere. I would start at the battery, and bypass each connector with a jumper. Hopefully you'll find a bad one that can be remade. If not, I'd check continuity at each wire length to look for a broken wire or bad splice.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

All fixed and working properly. I hate to admit what i did but i like to come clean. I made a short pigtail for power using 20ga wire. When i stripped the end it appeared ok. I installed my connector and pull tested. I did this twice before finally checking for continuity. I didnt have continuity. So i stripped a third time and checked continuity before installing the connector. None. I looked closer at the wire and noticed a clear coat that did not get stripped off. I dont claim to be an avionics tech but i did wire the whole plane without ever doing this. I blame crappy bi-focals!
    Thank you Bruce for the tip on naviator. I saw traffic and weather on it. Still wish i could get Avare to work. And my performance report came back clean.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    All fixed and working properly. I hate to admit what i did but i like to come clean. I made a short pigtail for power using 20ga wire. When i stripped the end it appeared ok. I installed my connector and pull tested. I did this twice before finally checking for continuity. I didnt have continuity. So i stripped a third time and checked continuity before installing the connector. None. I looked closer at the wire and noticed a clear coat that did not get stripped off. I dont claim to be an avionics tech but i did wire the whole plane without ever doing this. I blame crappy bi-focals!
    Thank you Bruce for the tip on naviator. I saw traffic and weather on it. Still wish i could get Avare to work. And my performance report came back clean.
    Way to go Ken, Its like majic when you get the ADSB in and out to work. I did a short x-country yesterday to an avionic shop to get my transponder 2 year certification, and the traffic feature really came in handy on both legs. Saw several targets that my old eyes would not have seen on the otherwise. Glad you found your problem and all is good now. Keep working with Naviator and I think you will come to like it. I fought it for a while because i don't like change (Used anywheremap for many years but they are essentially defunct now) but I had to make the switch and I am starting to get comfortable with the new app and its functions. Having "in cockpit" traffic and weather is a great benefit to safety and I think you'll really like it. Bruce N199cl