Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ADS-B Out

Default Re: ADS-B Out

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I believe Canada will require ADS-B equipment in larger/heavier & faster aircraft before the U.S. deadline. I wouldn't be too surprised if it becomes a requirement for smaller aircraft also sometime in the not too distant future. Plus, you have the 12" registration number requirement that includes homebuilts, no hand guns allowed, etc... or am I wrong? (It wouldn't be the first time!) I know there is a lot of "bending of the rules" that occurs, but it seems that many of the new rules, regulations, & standards that come about in the U.S. in recent years are due to bureaucrats & regulators trying to copy & be just like the rest of the world, including possibly Canada. At least it sometimes seems that way.
    Canada has ADS-B in the high arctic and over the oceanic airspace. There are ADS-B stations in Canada too but I'm not sure on the southern coverage. We do have a requirement for 10" registration. There is one case where you need 12" but I can't think of it off the top of my head but you are correct, US Aircraft can fly in with 4". We are allowed handguns but you need a restricted portion on your license and you can't carry it where ever you want.

TC tried to implement 406 ELTs 10 years ago and the debate raged on. We kicked and screamed because back then a 406 ELT was $5000+. It still isn't mandatory after all of our lobbying but the prices are down significantly. Slightly similar story to the ADS-B debate.

It will be interesting to see when Canada requires it for GA as it is the direction the world is going. But at the same time, our airspace is not congested like Teterboro, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. so maybe they will let us live in peace.

Actually everything about ADS-B is good. The ONLY problem is that
    the cost being forced on us is way too much.

In my 25 years of flying, I've had a number of near misses, and I sure like
    the idea of being able to display who's where when on my tablet. Not having
    worry about some "freedom is everything" Cowboy, who doesn't bother to
    ever announce anything, and blasts through the air like it's the last frontier.

ADS-B is good, just the cost is bad.

Jeff

I see it getting better, just have to hold out a little bit. Yes I agree, good system.

My son had that problem when he was a student at an "uncontrolled" field. Even though the "freedom flyer" had a radio - he wasn't even monitoring it and held short, as my son was on short final the a**hole took the runway and my son had to abort and go around. Narrowly keeping out of a turn, climb, stall and getting killed.

The old timer when confronted, said: I don't need to use a radio here (his home port). Even though he had one! What a BS attitude!

My son and I have had others and since that event - my son has changed career intentions from pro pilot (a shame) and we both fly for fun only - when it is still fun and the a..holes aren't around!

unfortunately ads-b is not going to fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    Actually everything about ADS-B is good. The ONLY problem is that
    the cost being forced on us is way too much.

ADS-B is good, just the cost is bad.

Jeff
    Jeff,

Unfortunately, you're still going to have to worry about the "cowboys", and one potential that I can see is creating pilots who might have their eyes on the iPad or whatever, constantly, and not outside looking for the "cowboys" who aren't going to equip, or other targets that the fancy system is going to miss.

I've had experiences like Danzer 1's son also. A recent "event" was a guy flying a Citabria and practicing touch & goes at Greeley, CO (GXY) - downwind (8 kts) - for a full half hour, and never once talking or acknowledging any communications from other pilots! Then he finally leaves after disrupting the traffic flow on a fairly busy day, and flies off to who knows where. Total jackass... they're out there and always will be.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I think everybody on this list has a handful of similar stories, and based
    on numbers, likely some of the people reading this have been the cause of
    an avoidable near miss or two as well ... That's a sad statement isn't it?

Jeff

Yep... just don't let all the new toys make you complacent about looking outside the aircraft.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I totally agree with everything stated. Fortunately he was vigilant. Then with the stall horn going off and correcting and trying to keep an eye on where the "cowboy" was once airborne. He did a damn fine job and went around and landed. It was his 1st solo cross country. I'll leave out the rest of the details, but it was at ITR (Kit Carson).

As a note, it seems most of these "cowboys" avoid the big Denver circle (thank goodness). There are a lot of cowboys out here. It is why we actually prefer to op in and out of tower controlled airports. Yes we miss some of the little ones, but I'd rather live to fly another day. At least in tower controlled space (most) pilots act somewhat more courteous and responsible. Go figure!

IMHO and not for a second suggesting that all pilots at uncontrolled airports are cowboys - so lets not start that. Just food for thought, for those that affect others without considering the consequences.

Both of my close calls have been at non controlled airports. It's suppose to be pilot controlled, but most of the near misses are due to Captain Oblivious. I had a near miss on landing with a twin that was landing down wind. When I finally got on the ground, I walked into the FBO to find Captain Oblivious on the phone with the owner trying to blame everyone and everything but himself for running it off of the runway through the drainage ditch and into the barbed wire fence at the South End of the runway. My other was with a Glider Pilot that was flying, I'm talking on the Unicom Frequency no one responds, my Zaon PCAS shows an aircraft nearby. I'm looking and finely see the knife edge if the glider wing as he's banking. He was above and in front of me maybe 500 feet.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas