Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: hand held radios

Default hand held radios

Everybody has a favorite something and I understand that. Without getting into "this is my favorite radio because..." I would like to hear why a particular hand held radio would be the one you would watch hit the ground from 2,000 feet and why.

Default Re: hand held radios

sportys sp400. sp for sh#$ ph$@%#$ radio

Vertex Standard VXA-710:
    The Good: Small size, good audio quality especially through the headset jack, great battery life including storage time, solid construction, very durable and advertised as submersible.

The Bad: I have real trouble with the buttonology of this radio, and I'm pretty much a tech guy. I need reading glasses in order to see the button function text above the keys, especially with some text in yellow on the silver background.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

This means what ... It's great? Or a piece of Junk?

Quote Originally Posted by dynomike View Post
    sportys sp400. sp for sh#$ ph$@%#$ radio

My Sportys has been very good, especially with the headset adapter. A friend and I did some tests when I first bought it, comparing it to two Yaesu models. The Sportys continued to function on the ground at longer distances than the others.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

How well does the Localizer/Glideslope functions work? Is the range decent?

The loc/glideslope functions work well. Its my backup in case my GPS goes belly-up, and of course if my radio goes out. Range is OK with the built-in antenna but not real great. As you probably know, the range can be much improved by making a patch cord to connect it to the aircraft antenna. I plan to do that one of these days.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I currently use an Icom A20 and I am quite happy with it. Good range and with my David Clarkes that were converted to a noise canceling headset it is clear. I had an A23 and an A5 that I used previously and they were both ok but I understand that you should not use them on cigarette lighter power and was always concerned I might blow them up. Having two the same allowed me to carry one as a backup. I had read that the A20 was the best all round for the cockpit and was happy when one came with the Model IV I am rebuilding.
    I also had experience with a Vertex 300 and the audio was the best of any handheld I have ever tried. I had complaints from my flying buddies that they could not hear me so I bought the Icom A5 and things got a little better. Checking the problem a little closer it turned out that a previous owner had installed a UHF antenna on the plane rather than a VHF antenna. The A5 Icom pushed the signal better than the Vertex but I wish I had the Vertex to try with the better antenna system. I have often thought of trying one of the new Vertex as the price is the best I have seen anywhere.
    BTW my experience with an Icom A6 is very bad. They tend to push the power signal into the headset adaptor causing serious feedback squeeling. I have been told it is because the battery pack is not a 12volt pack and the headset does not get proper power to make it work well. Another friend with an A4 gets all kinds of range and is as clear as any panel mount.
    For now the old A20 does a great job.
    Norm