Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you using for the 912is

Default Re: What are you using for the 912is

It's a lot of dollars in any currency.

yeah it is. thanks

Can't you buy an Airmaster though John and Debra?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

You probably can purchase through Kitfox. I was just curious after flying 12 hours with one at Stick & Rudder. I was surfing the net while John and Debra were likely asleep.
    As for the friends airplane, the fixed pitch props were probably cruise props and comparing cruise setting on the CS to a fixed cruise prop you would not expect to flind an advantage. Try comparing take off and climb settings of the CS to that fixed prop. I bet its no comparison. These Airmasters are sweet.
    Eddie

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

The Airmaster provides the most efficient use of the engine's power, through all phases of flight.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I can personally attest to the superior performance of the Airmaster CS prop on a Kitfox SS7. Airfox and Floog both have Kitfox SS7 with 912uls same as my SS7. We all 3 finished our Foxes and started flying about the same time. We all 3 fly together every now and then. The only differences in our 3 aircraft are: Airfox and Floog both have the Airmaster CS prop with Whirlwind blades; I have the Whirlwind fixed pitch (ground adjustable) prop with the same blades as they do. My prop is adjusted for a compromise between climb and cruise-slightly favoring climb performance. Floog and I have the same tires (Desser 8.5x6) and Airfox has the 26" Airstreaks. Whenever we fly together I am constantly astounded by their superior performance in ALL phases of flight. They noticeably outclimb me on T/O and cruise about 20-25 mph faster at the same engine rpm and with lower fuel consumption. On landing approach they can come in steeper than I because of the better braking effect of the idling prop at fine pitch. If you can afford it, I am convinced a CS prop is the best and most effective thing you can do to a Kitfox to utilize its total performance envelope. These comparisons I have made are side-by-side and as apples-to-apples as you can get and the difference is HUGE.

Airfox and Floog have gone on and installed aftermarket EFI on their 912uls engines to further improve fuel economy, smooth running, etc. But the comparisons I refer to above were made prior to the EFI installation, when all 3 of our engines were identical.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Awesome comparison write up Jim.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Don't get me wrong; I love my Kitfox with its fixed pitch prop. It has all the performance I will ever need, plus it keeps me in the Light Sport category and affordability where I need to be. However, this still does not detract from the awesome performance that can be had with the Airmaster.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The usual propeller weighs about 4.5 kg. How much does the variable pitch propeller weigh? What balancing is compensated for?

I don't know the answer to the weight question, but I do know that the Whirlwind blades are the same as mine except for the stubs that go into the hub. Actually a little more weight up front is good for the Kitfox SS7 because it tends to be a little tail heavy (rear CG). The prop and rotating parts can be balanced like any other prop.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS