Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triangle Window Frames

Default Triangle Window Frames

Hoping for some help here. My triangle window frame pieces don't align with the door joggles. I have the narrow end of the frame pieces to the aft. On the left top, there is a little gap that I think I can close okay by flexing the Aluminum.

On the lower right, however, there is nearly 3/8 of an inch gap. I could bend the metal and blend it all with Super Fil and Hysol, but then the plane of the frame will not be flat, and I worry the window won't seat correctly. Am I doing something wrong here?

Top left:

Bottom Right:
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Re: Triangle Window Frames

I tried to look at my photos to post but just don't see one good enough. The material is very flexible thankfully. I pulled the surfaces together, held it with a clamp and drilled a single hole, and threw a rivet through it. If I remember correctly, I dimpled the two pieces and put a flush head rivet in it. Don't put it to close to the inside edges because you need that space to put the plexiglass in. As you suggested, I had to use Poly Fill to dress up the surface to accept the fabric. I really can't tell from the outside now that the fabric is on.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I tried to look at my photos to post but just don't see one good enough. The material is very flexible thankfully. I pulled the surfaces together, held it with a clamp and drilled a single hole, and threw a rivet through it. If I remember correctly, I dimpled the two pieces and put a flush head rivet in it. Don't put it to close to the inside edges because you need that space to put the plexiglass in. As you suggested, I had to use Poly Fill to dress up the surface to accept the fabric. I really can't tell from the outside now that the fabric is on.
    Eddie
    Do you recall how big the gap you had to close was Eddie?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Your top gap is nothing, Its similar to mine. Your bottom one is similar as well best I can recall. Your photo may be zoomed in enough that I can't really tell how much it is gapped. not a lot of reference in it. Mine was pretty good size, more than your top by a long shot. I believe what your worried about is the plexiglass not sitting flush inside the frame? I may have had a bit of a misfit but I did'nt even notice. I used the double sided tape used on the door frames to seal the window up and it all came out nice.
    Eddie

I just went and squeezed and tweeked and adjusted and I think it's possible to make it work. The hard part will be holding it all together to drill, glue and rivet. The geometry makes clamping difficult.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

You can see mine on page 8 of my build
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I had exactly the same problem on the passenger side Brian. The pilot side was ok. I made a new channel with an extended centre web to take up the gap and get a flat plane for the window. My gap was the same order as yours.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Does this link help at all? It's Jim's photos on door frames but I don't know if it'll answer your question as I'm a lurker and not a KF builder

Jim's Door Photos

Quote Originally Posted by David47 View Post
    I had exactly the same problem on the passenger side Brian. The pilot side was ok. I made a new channel with an extended centre web to take up the gap and get a flat plane for the window. My gap was the same order as yours.
    It's comforting to know others have run into the same issue. Josh's looks like he had quite a gap to make up as well. I might make some new ones, but raw stock isn't easy to find in our small town, and shipping can be brutal when trying to order online.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

This is an area that I look at with every Kitfox I see in person and they are all the same. Try to minimize the gap, pop a countersunk rivit in each corner, and then super fill the transitions as best you can. As long as your window can sit flat, you’re all good.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3