Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 912 Reliability

Default Re: Rotax 912 Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by AirFox View Post
    Give Jason Busat(Canada guy) a call at Badasspowersports.com. He is the North American rep for Edge Performance. Both Doug and I installed the EFI only. It's good for about a 9 HP gain. If I was in the market for a new engine I would order a Rotax 912 ULS from Jason with the Cam, EFI and Big Bore kit. You would save a bunch of weight over the Rotax 915IS. I think that setup would be over 120 HP and more than 30 lb lighter. I have almost 200 hours on my 912 ULS with the EFI. Doug(Floog) has probably even more.
    Probably save money too depending on if you got a used 912ULS. My 914 has an SDS injection setup. Also a Canadian guy in Calgary. My engine will be easily good for 125. I can run over boost if I wanted too as well since I no longer have to worry about having more boost than fuel pressure. I probably won’t go that route but it’s an option
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks, yeah, i just noticed the Canadian dealer. I'll probably give him a call in the new year about it.

Originally I was thinking of holding off for the 915is, but I think with this latest discovery (for me) it probably isn't worth it.

I am looking for 100 to 120 hp for $17,000 or less. It looks like a 912uls is the most likely candidate. I have been chatting with the folks at Zipper Big Bore, and I think the only option to get more than 100 hp is a used engine with a Big Bore kit on it, or just getting a new 912uls.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFox View Post
    Give Jason Busat(Canada guy) a call at Badasspowersports.com. He is the North American rep for Edge Performance. Both Doug and I installed the EFI only. It's good for about a 9 HP gain. If I was in the market for a new engine I would order a Rotax 912 ULS from Jason with the Cam, EFI and Big Bore kit. You would save a bunch of weight over the Rotax 915IS. I think that setup would be over 120 HP and more than 30 lb lighter. I have almost 200 hours on my 912 ULS with the EFI. Doug(Floog) has probably even more.
    Scott, if you don’t mind I’m going jump in too. I’m in my research phase... I have been looking at engines leaning toward 912is. While I’ve considered other engines, this is the first that I’ve thought of getting a 912uls reworked engine. Any idea how your EFI compares to the IS? I’m intrigued by the thought of bore kit, cam, and EFI, too. Though I worry about longevity. What about a turbo? Guesses on which firewall forward kit that would go with these setups? Would this be too much for a rookie builder? Things that make me go, hmmmm. Thanks for any added insight.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Scott, if you don’t mind I’m going jump in too. I’m in my research phase... I have been looking at engines leaning toward 912is. While I’ve considered other engines, this is the first that I’ve thought of getting a 912uls reworked engine. Any idea how your EFI compares to the IS? I’m intrigued by the thought of bore kit, cam, and EFI, too. Though I worry about longevity. What about a turbo? Guesses on which firewall forward kit that would go with these setups? Would this be too much for a rookie builder? Things that make me go, hmmmm. Thanks for any added insight.
    Mines not flying yet but the aftermarket injection is hands down way more programable and customizable. You can install it on any fire wall forward kit that is standard for your core engine. It’s a lot of info at first but if you can build a plane you can install one of these setups.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I think that Hal Stockman with Zipper Big Bore has a turbo
    Model that goes up to 135 hp

I’ve got the big bore cylinders that go on a 912 ULS
    Puts out 114 HP. and believe me it not an “imagined” performance
    upgrade.

Hal n Jay are great to work with. Am very pleased with my engine

In one of these threads I saw mention of some aftermarket leaning product for the carbureted engines. Does anyone know what it is and has anyone tried using the product? Did it work as advertised?

Hacman is the item you are looking for. No personal experience, but have read many positive posts about it.

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Hacman is the item you are looking for. No personal experience, but have read many positive posts about it.
    Is there a link or can I just google it?

How does the kitfox perform with the 912 in it?

If there is anyone around KPAE, I will fill your tank to find out.