Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 1 Flaperon Hinges

Question Kitfox 1 Flaperon Hinges

Hi All,

Vandals broke all of the hinges on my plane and I'm trying to come up with a game plan on how to fix them. I've seen the SB on adding aluminum angles and might go that route. I've seen picture of a different hinge used on KF2s and am curious if they could be used as a replacement for mine. Any thoughts?

Jimmy

Default Re: Kitfox 1 Flaperon Hinges

You will first have to repair the hinges, I would use AC 43.13 as guidline for repairing wood structures. You could then accomplish the SB. It has been my experience that model ones are pretty much orphans. I have a set of Raven plans, which are pretty much a reversed engineered model one. I am fortunate enough to have a complete model one to use as a "Mexican" blueprint, I mean no disrespect by that, it is real nice to be able to see how things go together. Mike

I don't know if Kitfox ever sold rib tail repair parts like this, but Avid aircraft did. I've built a bunch of these myself, it's not to difficult. Kitfox ribs are just slightly different, but not by much. I'm sure you could do the same. I glued the wood together with T-88 epoxy, and used a small brad nailer to hold them together while the glue set. JImChuk

PS just reread your post, and you mention different Kitfox 2 hinges. Kitfox 1 - 3 are all the same. Did you mean Kitfox 4? They are different and probably wont work without a bunch of other modifications
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had also broke most of all the hinges
    They were repaired with thin aluminium folded over and put some thin bolts in it.
    I have removed that all ,glued the hinges back on ,and made the reinforcements just as in the kitfox manual and glued them on both sides.I made the reinforcements from 0.3 mm SS because i could"nt become 2024 aluminium

Thanks, guys. The hinges I saw were on a post (Google) that said they were on a Model 2 but there's no telling.

Thank again.

Jimmy