Supporting vendors:

Your ad here?

Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
zadwit

Default 582 gray head ruined

I bought a 1990 kitfox 2 with a gray head 582. Total time on airplane and engine is 725 and less than 30 hours since overhaul. The pilot was flying and the engine made a pop and quit running. I bought the plane, removed the engine and sent it to a Rotax service center in Canada. They were horrified when they opened it up. The inside of the crankcase was painted including the case 1/2 bearing surfaces, then red loctite was used to bed the main bearing in the case 1/2s. every nut bolt and screw was installed with red loctite or red silicon. The middle bearing seperator got plugged with cooked locktite and the bearing overheated and came apart flinging metal into the pto gear which destroyed the gear and so the engine quit.Im not ready to say who this overhauler is but I will say be VERY careful who you pick to overhaul your engine....you life could very well depend on it. There was lots of other issues with the assembly of this engine that were not industry standard.
I dont toot my own horn but my back ground is A&P since 1970 , IA since 1980, worked general aviation for 38 yrs, ran an FBO, worked for a regional airline in alaska as inspector on Boeing 737 aircraft, I have rebuilt over 50 Lycoming and continental engines and all are still flying in Alaska today....which is a little nerve wracking since some were rebuilt in 1989.... so I take this stuff seriously. I also worked for the FAA flight Standards for 15 yrs as an aviation safety inspector (airworthiness)and air accident investigator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1444.jpg (101.7 KB, 141 views)
zadwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
Brodstol

Default Re: 582 gray head ruined

What do the logs say on the overhaul? Was it done by a reputable source? My guess it wasn't a true legal "overhaul". I'm finishing up my A&P school and I'm quickly discovering how loosely the terms overhaul and rebuild are used in GA.
Brodstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #3
zadwit

Default Re: 582 gray head ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodstol View Post
What do the logs say on the overhaul? Was it done by a reputable source? My guess it wasn't a true legal "overhaul". I'm finishing up my A&P school and I'm quickly discovering how loosely the terms overhaul and rebuild are used in GA.
It was done by Rotax Rick. The engine engine is full of silicon sealant and glass hardened red loctite which got inthe PTO bearing and destroyed it because it could not get oil. The bearings were set in red loktite sothey would not spin in the case halds but the locktite hardened to glass like stuff and flew around inside the engine and trashed everything.. nothing salvagable... The Rotax center in Canada who dismantled the engine had this to say.The engine has less than 20 hours since overhaul.

Hello Mark,
Iíll start with the good, looks like the Gearbox and e-start are in good shape. From the condition of the cylinders and pistons, the engine canít have more than 100 hrs Iím thinking less than 50. Definitely Rotax Rickís engine. Center bearing PTO side destroyed itself, and a small chunk of steel went into the rotary valve. That is still the good! The bad, engine is shot, and not from the rotary valve. Rick either siliconed, loctited, or gooped every faster, gasket, and seal, besides that the engine case is painted inside and out, including all machined surfaces. I will call you tomorrow and give you all the details. Iím really having a hard time believing what I found today!
zadwit is offline   Reply With Quote