Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Standard wingtips?

Default Standard wingtips?

I have standard wingtips, but I want to put Josh’s landing lights in them. Anybody else done it? Looking for design ideas. Thanks.

Default Re: Standard wingtips?

Have any pictures of the wing tips? I’m not super familiar with what they look like. If they are long enough, I can’t see why you couldn’t cut a section out and add a section for the landing light to go in with some fibre glass work...
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I’ll take pix tomorrow when I go to the shop. Thanks.

Mine are Hornher wingtips .... a bit longer than standard wingtips, but they don’t come with cutouts for wingtip lights. So I made my own. Some pictures for you to show how I went about it. The most difficult part is getting the shape of the aluminium alloy backing doubler and and then bonding the fibreglass box inside. Each fibreglass box I made separately in the bench using a rough Mold made up from the shape on the inside of the tip. Also, I’ve played around with Acrylic and 5 minutes in an oven at around 180-200C will allow me to form the lenses, which I haven’t done yet. So far it’s working out.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Nice David! One could also bend a piece of aluminum shaped like this “ ] “ to rivet in for the light to mount to and have no fiber glass work.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Nice David! One could also bend a piece of aluminum shaped like this “ ] “ to rivet in for the light to mount to and have no fiber glass work.
    Spot on Josh, and that was my original intention .... but I'd never done any fibreglass work before so thought I'd make life difficult for myself !!

Got a lot of good (and bad) experience out of this exercise, all leading up to me eventually making my own fairings for wing strut/wing junctions and landing gear junctions. I'll do this after I've got my Experimental ticket and registration.
    David
    SS7 Builder

David that looks great!!! Thanks.

Here is my tip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slightly off topic. I have a lens that I got from BlueSky aviation 16 or 17 years ago. I would like to get a replacement but I can not find them. I assume they are no longer in business. If someone else took over production of these, I am sure this list is the place to find them. Does anyone know?

Left wingtip in this photo from about 15 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)