Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Default Re: Changing out a 912 80 HP in a model IV

Not sure what you mean by fire-sleeving. You don't generally fire-sleeve coolant lines. You might put on chafe protection, or you might cover with radiation shielding, to keep exhaust heat off, but I really don't think you need to fire sleeve the cooling system. As to line installation. I have some pictures here. (Did I already send you that link? Can't remember.) Otherwise I'd say you're doing a good job.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Chapter 75-20-00 page 7 item 7 says, protection tube heat, I assumed it needed fire sleeve due to the heat in the engine compartment, exhaust proximity etc. I agree with radiation shielding. (Sounds Star Treky) I"ll anti, chafe and do what I can to keep them from getting hot, but you can see there is little room there. So I like the idea of padding it with some extra hose and inspecting, ... a lot.

Guy Buchanan's pics are saving me a lot of guessing.
    Thank you Guy.

The only heat proctection I did were lines that were within 4” of exhaust piping. None of my coolant lines have heat protection.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

That reference is in the IPC

I installed the final torque and safety on the engine mount and I installed the lower hoses. Yes, they fit, no extra room, but they fit. The one point I was struggling with on the left side is that the angle of my fitting is to reduce stress on the the hose but it was such a high angle that the hose clamp BARELY fit between the ignition electronic pick up and the engine block. I ended up assembling the hose to the water pump cover and THEN installing said pump cover. I think I will be able to replace the hose without removing the water pump cover but it promises to be a real pain. In the words of Guy Buchanan, heres a few thousand words.

Question? instead of a zip tie to hold a piece of split tubing over a hose for abrasion protection, could I use high temp RTV or gasket maker as an adhesive?
    Now when the zip tie gets hot and becomes brittle, it won't fall off, because, ... its not there in the first place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What I did in a couple of places where a hose needed chafe protection, but there was not room for firesleeve or something similar, was to use several wraps of silicone, self-vulcanizing "Rescue tape" around the hose or around the chafing structural member. This stuff is tough and it doesn't come loose and is unaffected by heat. I also used it where I needed to put a zip tie around a structural member. I also carry some in my emergency tool kit, it can temporarily seal a coolant hose leak.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

That is exactly what I have done. Even the part about helping with zip ties.

I made some progress on the cooling system today. Got the top tubes cut and I clocked the elbows. this is the layout.

I am making progress. I mocked up the engine and exhaust manifold and it all fits.
    I am mocking up the fuel manifolds tomorrow and wondered how others have connected to the engine. My old set up comes thru the firewall in the center and divides via brass barbed fittings to get to gascolator, fuel pump, pressure gauge, auxpump, fuel return,carbs, fun factor. most of the fittings are on the firewall and inaccessible for maintenance with the engine mounted. Is everyone with a model IV doing that?