Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protential Colorado builder

Default Protential Colorado builder

Hi all,
    I recently joined this forum in support of my aircraft down-select process.
    A (perhaps THE) key factor will be the quality of the flight experience. I have yet to arrange a demo, but from what I have read, it flys real nice. Color me cautious though because I demo’d a Flight Designs CTLS and was NOT impressed.
    Other desires or requirements are for a lot of usable baggage capacity (plenty of room and as close to 100 lbs as we can get), good cruise speed (within the LSA limits), and a kit that qualifies as 51 percent for experimental/amateur built certification. It appears that the Kitfox S7 scores well in these areas.
    Unfortunately the Kitfox was not really on my radar earlier this year and so I did not spend as much time looking it over at Oshkosh as I would have otherwise. I will admit to feeling more comfortable with sheet metal, but I did just do the SportAir fabric covering workshop. Honestly, I learned that I could do fabric, but I am still not sure I want to.
    Anyway, I am looking forward to learning more about the S7 and others’ building and flight experiences. – Gary

Default Re: Protential Colorado builder

Steve,
    I agree that I need to fly the Super Sport. I won’t be able to make CopperState however. Thanks for the offer though.
    With regard to doing the fabric work, I am less concerned about the doing, and more about the doing it nice. The other thing that concerns me is all the MEK solvent given that I expect to be working in my garage and must avoid fumigating my house with that stuff. I would welcome comments on how others have mitigated that as an issue.
    That said, the numbers are telling me that the Kitfox is probably my best bet. So yes, finding an opportunity to fly one is on my short list.
    - Gary

Building mine in the basement with an SWMBO who has little tolerance for MEK / paint fumes. A little planning with managed air flow and I have a covered and painted plane and I am still happily married.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

trying to decypher the SWMBO,.I've got

"Sexy Wittle Major Babe Ohyeah"

"Short Wonderful Mate Best Overall"

"Sweet Woman May Beat Oldman"

ha ha please help

Chase

She Who Must Be Obeyed

SWMBO

oh ok ,..only 5 years into my marriage and I haven't learned that part yet ha ha

Not sure about all reviews, I have heard mixed reports from some, have not flown the CT myself so these are not first hand opinions.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

BTW SkyPirate, your SWMBO guesses brought much laughter to this house, your second guess was perfect
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Only thing with that idea is it's a low wing. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a low wing in the back country. I know, I have both.

You may have struck a nerve, Colospace in your accessment of the CT. A local pilot here has an early CT. I noticed he landed like a jet and asked about the reason why he came in so hot. I was told it gets kinda squirrely slow with flaps. CT has made some major changes to the tail, I assume for a good reasons. James Thomas