Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: False bottom ribs under fuel tank

Default False bottom ribs under fuel tank

Is there an easy way to install the false ribs under the fuel tank. The bottom of the tank is not that even and hand fitting each rib to the contour of the tank is tedious. So far on my left wing I have laid a level across the 1st and third rib and hand fitted each false rib. About 20 minutes per rib. Any suggestions?

Default Re: False bottom ribs under fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by cposer View Post
    Is there an easy way to install the false ribs under the fuel tank. The bottom of the tank is not that even and hand fitting each rib to the contour of the tank is tedious. So far on my left wing I have laid a level across the 1st and third rib and hand fitted each false rib. About 20 minutes per rib. Any suggestions?
    That's basically how I did it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I cut the bottom false ribs about 1/16" short and then used little hardwood blocks to shim them up to proper height. This was much faster.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ran a level as you did and did pretty much the same as Jim but used some spare plywood birch offcuts. And yes, its time consuming.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I did pretty much as you did. I did one first, and used it as a template on a second one. I then clamped that one to the rest of them, and belt-sanded them together to nearly the correct shape, leaving a little extra material to allow each one to be finished to shape. I found a bandfile to be handy for hand-finishing them to shape.

I shimmed mine into the proper position, then tacked them in place with CA glue and zip kicker (makes it dry instantly in position). Then I filleted them with Hysol . It was pretty quick and easy for me.
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!